Looking for a clear urethane

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must go on fairly thick and cure to a hard (Shore Hardness >/=80) yet flexible clear finish within a reasonable period (hours rather than days). Heat curing may be an option. When I say thick, I mean a layer of at least 1/64," ideally thicker. Any suggestions?

The masterial doesn't have to be a urethane, but it must show these properties:

- UV resistance (must not yellow like epoxy or darken noticeably over time)
- hard, clear finish
- good solvent resistance

PS: Captain Kirk's yacht needs to be refurbished.
wink.gif

What does it need to adhere to? (not fishing, just metal? Wood?)

I'm guessing wood. Urethane will yellow as well. Thick?

What about multiple coats and sanding out, using automotive clear coat?

Smooth-On makes a clear, UV resistant, low viscosity urethane. It does not yellow and it is flexible while pretty hard and durable. Alas, the small size has become unavailable. The stuff is expensive ($30 for a two pint kit, which is the small size). The only other urethane I know is made by Polytek and it comes only in gallon kits, which is too much quantity, just like the Smooth-On stuff.

It has to adhere to epoxy paint. I'm willing to apply up to three coats. Auto clear coat is totally unacceptable.

Try Sherwin-Williams Rexthane moisture cure urethane. It can go on fairly thick, and it actually chemically bonds to wood. I have it on my family room hardwood floor. It has stood up to housebreaking 10 puppies and them playing with their friends when they get older.

gretchenandellaplaying.jpg

Yes, we got Sherwin Williams stores. I'm not sure about water-based urethanes. I'm used to using two part urethanes that are contaminated and rendered useless by minute amounts of moisture. Those (lethal) resins are casting resins that are thin enough to be used for coating pretty much anything. I can't imagine a water-based urethane going on thick enough, or to be sufficiently durable. I am willing to try it out, if they have a small can.

Too brittle (or too soft) and not UV resistant. Polyester resin is out, too.

Originally Posted By: labman
Try Sherwin-Williams Rexthane moisture cure urethane. It can go on fairly thick, and it actually chemically bonds to wood. I have it on my family room hardwood floor. It has stood up to housebreaking 10 puppies and them playing with their friends when they get older.

Look at those nails... Can you estimate how thick this stuff can be applied? Its spec sheet looks good. ArmorSeal - Rexthane claims to be equivalent to two-part urethane coatings.

I also found a two-part urethane:

ArmorSeal® -- Armor-Plex™ Water based Urethane
SPECIFICATIONS View Entire Datasheet
Type Coating
Chemistry Polyester / Polyurea; Polyurethane; Resin
Color Gray; Red; White; Clear; Sandstone
Finish High-Gloss
Substrate Concrete; Steel; Wood
Notes Low odor, suitable for use in USDA inspected facilities, water cleanup
Abstract RECOMMENDED USES ARMOR-PLEX WATERBASED URETHANE FINISH is a high · For industrial, commercial, or marine use where a heavy solids, water based, two-component, urethane industrial floor duty, water based, polyurethane floor finish is required finish. The polyester/urethane finish cures to a highly flexible, · For use over concrete and wood floor surfaces in: high gloss, chemical and abrasion resistant film. Use on inte- Hospitals Clean Rooms rior and exterior floors. Provides excellent color and gloss re- Boiler Rooms H...

Somehow I read right over your initial post where you stated no epoxy
smirk2.gif

are you looking for a paint-like coating or something rubbery/grippy?

If is paint-like then waterborne polyurethane resin dries crystal clear and very quickly but it prefers to be sprayed. it might be worth buying a small can of it to try.

No, I look for something with a hard but flexible (pretty much unbreakable) plastic feel. Not soft or anything. I need it to be able to actually not only coat, but also fill somewhat. That's why I used to use a casting resin. The Smooth-On product was near perfect. That product is for example used to make custom underwater camera and sensor housings.

I will not spray urethane. I don't have the necessary safety gear and I still need my lungs.

Not sure why I didn't reply back in January. The Rexthane is not a water based material. It draws moisture from the atmosphere to cure. It is likely the toughest single package material that cures at room temperature. I have used it as a top coat to a poured epoxy floor finish.

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
Mori, did you find a suitable coating?

I share your interest in continuing breathing,
and am looking for a similiar clearcoat myself.

Thanks,
TLR

Mori hasn't posted in several months. In fact, he's not registered anymore as a member.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
Mori, did you find a suitable coating?

I share your interest in continuing breathing,
and am looking for a similiar clearcoat myself.

Thanks,
TLR

Mori hasn't posted in several months. In fact, he's not registered anymore as a member.

Yeah, haven't you noticed that spelling and grammar have gone in the krapper around here?

A two part type that you mix is in your future.

A plain urethane goes on thin - you'll take forever to build up to a decent thickness.

The Rexthane is nothing like a plain urethane. It doesn't have any tung oil or other vegetable oil. It is much closer to the 2 package urethanes except easier to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back