Trying to help a friend by phone w/computer proble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell desktop about a year old, boots, then shows boot option but then a blank screen w/blinking line in upper left corner. I had her try the menu on the flat screen monitor but has different controls than mine. Reboot doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Talked to her again and she said it has like a hum coming from it, so maybe it is HD. She said the keys seem ok. She is going to take it somewhere. She didn't know what the HD indicator was and I tried explaining it. I don't know why on most recent computers I've seen the HD indicator is so hard to see, like heavy smoked cover and a very dim indicator.
Thanks for suggestions.....

This could be anything, including the BIOS stopping on reboot due to a simple error such as a keyboard being unplugged. (I know from your post that this is not the case, but some BIOS are set to stop on "any error".)

First question is did she move the computer recently or recently install a new printer? I'd check all external connections. If that does not work, I would open the case and apply finger pressure to make sure the hard drive and power cables are connected, memory is not dislodged, etc. I would then leave the case side panel off and make sure the CPU fan is spinning when the power is turned on.

Upon turning the computer on, have her immediately start tapping the F8 key at one second intervals. See if this will bring up the Windows option list to "boot in safe mode" or "boot with last known configuration that worked".

Is she running MS Vista? Sounds probable based upon the age of her machine. I do not care what anyone says, Vista still has problems at times, especially after installing patches / updates Microsoft pushes once a month on their "Patch Tuesdays". I also know what week had Patch Tuesday as I always get a call that one or more computers, especially one running Vista, is having issues on Wednesday or Thursday of the same week.

Please keep us informed as to how she is making out. I'll be glad to try to help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John K
Dell desktop about a year old, boots, then shows boot option but then a blank screen w/blinking line in upper left corner. I had her try the menu on the flat screen monitor but has different controls than mine. Reboot doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Cursor in the corner is typical post-POST, pre-Windows boot symptom, often from a dead or malfunctioning/corrupted HDD.

Taking it somewhere (as it sounds like she's done as per your follow-up post) is likely the quickest way to get it operational again, as troubleshooting over the Internet is not the most efficient method of dealing with boot problems.

Originally Posted By: John K

My mom's dell just did the same thing. Hardrive failed. Put a new hardrive in and good to go.

Hope she had everything backed up. I learned a long time ago it is not a question of if but when.

Windows 7 has a simple backup program that makes an emergency boot disk and you can backup to an external usb hard drive.

Sounds like the hard drive is gone.

Recovery of data on a failed hard drive can be very expensive and not a sure thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back