Who make a good Lawn mower battery!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well never fails 2-3 years and there shot!!! does any one make a good small engine batt any more? post up if you found one that last more then a few frickin years.

and i maintained this one good had it in side and trickled charged through out the off seasons.

I gave up trying to find a better lawnmower battery when the $20 Walmart special lasted longer than the $46 John Deere battery. Anymore, I just go to Wallyworld. It's cheaper and easier.

You probably know this by your location but temps ruin batteries too. We were always taught to bring them in if you are bringing the dogs in. It seemed to help vs neighbors who didn't.

we are trying out an o'reilly's brand battery. 2 years and still great. the walmart batteries last usually 3 to 4 years for me. must be your cold temps.

Do you keep it trickle charged? You gotta on a lead-acid, OTW - KAPUT. My lawnmower starts when I yank the cord
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
You probably know this by your location but temps ruin batteries too. We were always taught to bring them in if you are bringing the dogs in. It seemed to help vs neighbors who didn't.

Guys i do bring it in as my post explained in the off season it's in side warm and getting trickle charged but didnt seem to help this one.

Look beyond the brand, but who creates the batteries. I've had no problems with Johnson Controls batteries - I happen to get mine from Walmart, and they last about 2 years here....

But that's all about our weather, it gettings friggin hot here, and I don't take mine in
wink.gif
It stays in the push-mower.

Maybe it's luck, but I generally get 5-6yrs out of OPE batteries. FWIW, my 2005 model year Cub 2544 is on it's factory battery yet. I throw a charger on it 4-5x during the ~6mo off season and it stays in an unheated garage. It's typically excessive heat that kills batteries before anything else.

Joel

Johnson Controls, Exide are good. Look up a local wholesaler, they may be cheaper than Walmart. Ask for "trade" prices when you call...

The Interstate I picked up @ a "real" OPE store is going on its 6th year. About $35 IIRC. I think vibration does them in, in addition to heat. This is on a 1982-3 beast of a CC

I have had good luck with the Johnson Controls battery. I got mine from Sears Parts about 3 years ago. Still going strong. I use a tender on the off season and top off the cells every once in a while.

Wally batteries are JC's also.

Dave

The better batteries will have the plates anchored to the bottom of the case with epoxy. This is for the vibrations of OPE. I doubt the $20 batteries have this.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The better batteries will have the plates anchored to the bottom of the case with epoxy.

what brand?

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The better batteries will have the plates anchored to the bottom of the case with epoxy.

what brand?

Exide used to have one, but my info is 5-6 years old. Call some local wholesalers and see what thiey have. Most auto place sales people will not know anything about battery construction

Most battery brands are made by the same manufacturer(s) and are pretty much the same to the similar price point quality. Brand name means very little.

Battery maintenance is very important.

Right now, I run fourteen lead acid batteries. Three full size automotive, two large deep cycle and nine OPE/motorcycle/ATV batteries. I average eight years on my ATV/OPE/motorcycle batteries. I'm presently running original batteries in a number of machines from 2002 to 2007 with no battery issues. The last battery I replaced was my fish finder battery just this spring. It was dated 1998. So that one was twelve years old. Believe it or not, my diesel power plant battery is dated 1986 and it's still holding 12.5 volts!

When I replace batteries, I prefer to buy the type that can be maintained. Usually, on OPE, the cells will either have a flat upper surface or a couple of raised covers for the cells. The raised covers are easily removed to access the cells to top them off with water. The flat type have tiny caps that are tough to take off to get at the cells. I generally avoid that style of battery.

Hot temperatures and strong charging systems play havoc on small batteries. The electrolyte can be cooked off fairly quickly. I generally inspect the electrolyte in all batteries in the spring and fall. Seldom do they need topping off after winter storage. In the fall however, it's not unusual to see more than a few low cells. During winter storage, I keep the batteries I have out at the cottage on 5W solar panels. I have four 5W panels out there for the small batteries and one 30 watt panel for the large batteries. For some reason, the batteries kept on the solar panels seem to last longer than batteries I have in town that receive occasional regular charging over winter. The batteries at camp are kept at ambient temperatures which can range from 100F to -40F. It's essential to keep the batteries on trickle charge or solar panel in sub zero temperature.

If you want your batteries to last, buy the style that's easy to maintain and do your maintenance twice a year. It will pay off in the long run.

O'Reilly's Auto. When they get their first batch in April, they're 19.99 plus tax and trade in the old battery. Last at least 2 years. Very affordable maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back