2006 ford explorer - air bag light

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLJ

I have a 2006 ford Explorer 4.0L. That the airbag light came on for about 2 minutes.Then the light went off . This occured while sitting in a drive thru. Is this normal or am I about to have issues with the air bag. The car has 45,000 miles on it and i have already had to replace radiator and then a bypass hose ruptured above the water pump. I am starting to think this model is junk!

We had the same problem with some of vans at work.

Started to do the same as you described and the light came on more and more. Then stayed on. It ended up being the contact ring in the steering wheel column.

Hopefully the stealership can help you out. I'd let them know! (and go with the safety issue and man it would stink (for them) if I had a accident and the bag did not go off and I was hurt)

Good luck!

Bill

We see airbag lights come on for many reasons, most of which are unrelated to the airbag(s) itself(themselves).

For example, a '97 Altima had the airbag light on because the driver's door switch for the dome light wasn't working correctly, and it has a dual function on that car - to turn on the dome light AND to let the computer know to activate the airbag because the door is closed. We cleaned the contacts on the switch and problem solved.

Another example, a '99 Camry (IIRC) had the airbag light on because the switch in the driver's seat belt buckle (female part) was filled with lint & other ick. It could not be cleaned sufficiently to again work, so a new buckle was installed. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: BLJ
I have a 2006 ford Explorer 4.0L. That the airbag light came on for about 2 minutes.Then the light went off . This occured while sitting in a drive thru. Is this normal or am I about to have issues with the air bag. The car has 45,000 miles on it and i have already had to replace radiator and then a bypass hose ruptured above the water pump. I am starting to think this model is junk!

That's really not a lot of problems. A new rad at that mileage is rare, but not unheard of. Our jeep has 37k on it (granted it's a 99) and it had a new rad put in last year because the clamps on the upper tanks were rusted away.

I don't know about in your state, but here SRS systems have a 3/36 warranty.

If they don't work properly after that, it's the same as any other non-warranty component failing. It's your baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back