McAfee never got it right- now completely wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic, let's face it, no one knows much of anything from watching the TV news.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have not seen much on the news about this. Is this not a major news story? I have heard that thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of computers have been affected. But you would not know it from the TV news.

They run McAfee and their computers are still down
43.gif

Our computer was off at the time, plus we get Mcaffee private labeled thru Verizon. We're just lucky, I guess.

It's interesting that there's a west coast post and an east coast post with the problem. I got to thinking about this one. If I ran the virus update, I'd want to stage update releases. Do a small region first, wait an hour, then increase the area of release, maby wait another hour, then release to all users. That way, you could listen for the screaming to start from a smaller number of people, and limit the damage. I know, they should check the code first, but $#!+ happens...

I do use CCcleaner Buffman as well as Malwarebytes.

I haven't had a virus on a pc in over 7 years and then that was from a friend, now deceased, that had a virus that took over his email client. Nothing worked then but Panda AV and it cleaned that machine up.

I'm a believer in Avast for now.

Ed Bott writes this article this morning:
"McAfee admits "inadequate" quality control caused PC meltdown"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=2031&tag=nl.e539

"What went wrong?

That was the question I asked in my post yesterday, and I formally asked a McAfee spokesperson for an explanation this morning. I was told that an answer will be posted on McAfee’s blog later today. As of this writing, that blog post has not been published.

But I found the answer, straight from the source, in a document forwarded to me by an anonymous source. According to my source, the document was “a confidential communication to enterprise customers” sent via e-mail. In it, the anonymous author acknowledges that the screw-up was thoroughly preventable. The document, entitled “McAfee FAQ on bad DAT issue,” is written in Q&A format and includes the following exchange:...."

My friend works in McAfee's HW division. Thursday was "bring your kid to work" day. The CEO met with the kids in a conference room and asked them,

"Any of you kids want to be a software engineer? The ones we have now aren't very good."

Any problem that makes thousands or perhaps hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide (even in hospitals, for example) unuseable is a major news story.

I don't hear of many Windows updates that cause major problems. A good IT department always tests updates on a computer before installing them enterprise wide. The current Norton 2010 antivirus updates up to 200 times in an 8 hour work day, much more often than McAfee, and I don't hear of any problems with Norton.

I used Apple computers a lot in the past and many Apple updates are MASSIVE and sometimes have problems. When I upgraded my Mac OS 10.4 'Tiger' computer to Mac OS 10.5 'Leopard' I got a blue screen that lasted a long time and I thought I had wrecked my computer. So I don't think Microsoft is alone in occasionally having bad updates or problems.

The fact of the matter is the problem is with McAfee and not Norton or Microsoft. Microsoft had nothing to do with McAfee issuing a bad update.

McAfee in testing actually has pretty high detection rates and is effective against rootkits. If McAfee as a company could get their act together and change the current corporate culture there maybe McAfee could be a worthwhile antivirus.

The Norton 2010 antivirus is very good in my opinion. A massive improvement from where Norton was even a couple of years ago.

I think Kaspersky and NOD32 are both slipping some, especially NOD32. But Kaspersky is still a very good antivirus. So are G-Data and Avira.

Microsoft itself is greatly improved in its software development and security.

All software, regardless if it is developed by Sun, Microsoft, Apple, or whoever, can have problems. Recently there have been huge security updates for Sun's Java, for example. There have been updates to correct security problems in various Apple software, in Google's Chrome web browser, in Firefox, and in Microsoft software, and in Adobe software. Anybody who thinks that just Microsoft and antivirus companies have problems just does not get it.

Both Kaspersky and NOD32 now have beta versions of antivirus software for Apple. That should tell you something. According to Threatpost there are now some 115 types of malware and exploits that can affect Mac OS X. Just like people said as soon as Apple became more commonplace the malware would follow.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
McAfee in testing actually has pretty high detection rates and is effective against rootkits.

I had a PC that had a rootkit on it, McCrapee didn't do anything to fix it. I had to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to get it cleaned up.

Yeah, regardless of antivirus program, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, and A-Squared are good programs to have also (the free versions that don't run in real time).

And it is possible to run a computer from a CD with an antivirus on the CD and running in a Linux operating system. The malware can't touch that.

PREVX is another used by pro's. And if you want some decent protection NIS 2011 beta is available for free download and is as solid as a rock. Even the normally anti Norton dudes at Wilders are very 'up' on it.

If Norton keeps making progress like they have in 2009 and 2010 I think Norton has a very good chance of being the best antivirus in the world. I almost left Norton for good but the Norton antivirus of today is completely different than the Norton antivirus of just a few years ago.

I was somewhat impressed with Norton 2009 but 2010 is even better. I think Norton still needs some work in a few areas but in the last 2 years I think they have progressed more then in the past several years before that.

Agreed. NIS 2009 was light, fast, seamless install after moving f5romPanda. Upgrade to NIS 2010 over the top wasthe easiste thing yet and even lighter and faster. Reviews on NIS 2011 shows it looks even lighter which as an IT pro I find hard to believe. Still money works ansd Symantec have thrown a LOT at it. Tempted to move to the 2011 beta but will wait another month. Just a pity PCT can't get SD to work seamlessly together, weird when PCT is owned by Symantec.

I can remember everybody putting down the two big American antivirus programs-Norton and McAfee. And they deserved it. How times have changed. They seem to be going in two different directions.

Norton right now at least is on a fast track to greatness. I don't know where McAfee is going. If the same sort of effort was put into McAfee as had been put into Norton the past few years McAfee would have great potential also.

Maybe the corporate culture at McAfee does not allow greatness. I think it takes more than money. There has to be some people at Symantec (Norton) who really want to achieve excellence.

I am almost tempted to say that Norton beats Kaspersky. I never thought a few years ago that I would ever say something like that.

Great job Symantec people. Keep it up.

NIS 2010 and KIS 2010 were about equal with NIS winning a few more awards. NIS 2011 looks like jumping KIS 2011 and these days I'm not surprised, the resource differential is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back