Panasonic SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix digital Camera, the sales person tried to sell me a Panasonic SD card to go with it.
Not a bad idea, as the built in memory is VERY small. But the 2gb card was VERY expensive (almost half the cost of the camera).
Can there be any issues with using a regular SD or SDHC cards?
I have some XD cards. Could these be used with a card adapter?
(I see a lot of these for sale)

Originally Posted By: expat

Can there be any issues with using a regular SD or SDHC cards?

Not really. Just make sure it's a high-speed card and from a reputable company.

Quote:

I have some XD cards. Could these be used with a card adapter?
(I see a lot of these for sale)

It should work, typically.

I have an older Panasonic camera that takes SD cards. I've used micro-SD cards in it with an appropriate adapter.

You can find it cheaper on amazon.If your camera is compatible with SDHC make sure it is class 6, it is faster.Also if it accepts only the microSDHC, you might want to get a package that includes the adapter.

Just a note to the people who have responded in this thread, he did mention XD, not SD, which is a proprietary Fujifilm media, (apparently supported in some other brands now?) and I don't personally know of an adapter to make it work with SD.

Just a heads up....

I really can't figure out how a 2gb card could be so expensive, you can get them for around $10 in this neck of the woods.

Yes, He 'kind' of implied there was something Special about the card (My thoughts were "Yes, the price is special")
Thanks guys, I'll check on line.
Anyone know any links in Canada?
1 or 2gb is all I'll need.

Yes, He 'kind' of implied there was something Special about the card (My thoughts were "Yes, the price is special")
Thanks guys, I'll check on line.
Anyone know any links in Canada?
1 or 2gb is all I'll need.

Yes, thanks Craig, I do have XD cards from an old Fuji.
I guess that won't work.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I don't personally know of an adapter to make it work with SD.

Good point. I couldn't find such an adapter either (small enough to fit inside a camera).

Quote:
I really can't figure out how a 2gb card could be so expensive, you can get them for around $10 in this neck of the woods.

True. I just got an 8 GB Kingston SD card off Newegg for under $18 including shipping.

xD is basically an obsoleted standard as most new camera stopped using it after it maxed out at 2GB. If I were you I'd just get the SD card instead.

These Canadian prices seem out of line. Am I missing something?
Most U.S. on line sellers won't ship to Canada, and I don't want to take a chance on something from Hong Kong.

A couple of months ago, I bought a 32GB SDHC card(SD, High Capacity) on Ebay from a Hong Kong based seller for about $26 shipped. It works perfectly in my almost-new Fuji camera, & will hold *Thousands* of photos at max resolution/min compression.

A less risky alternative is to buy one domestically. Buy dot com usually has good to excellent deals on memory cards, and with SD/SDHC you get maximum GB for the $$. And you might as well get something bigger than 2 GB- I'd go for a min of 4, more likely 8GB from a domestic seller.

These Canadian prices seem out of line. Am I missing something?
Most U.S. on line sellers won't ship to Canada,

Not sure what you mean. $9 seems out of line? Amazon.ca which I linked to will most certainly ship to Canada since they are in Canada.

Quote:Not sure what you mean. $9 seems out of line? Amazon.ca which I linked to will most certainly ship to Canada since they are in Canada.

Sorry, I should have posted a link to Henry's http://www.henrys.ca/Categories/272-Memory-Cards.aspx
When I went to Henry's and saw those prices (plus the quote I had from where I bought the camera)
I wondered if I was missing something in the card specs.
I guess I'll just buy from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
A couple of months ago, I bought a 32GB SDHC card(SD, High Capacity) on Ebay from a Hong Kong based seller for about $26 shipped. It works perfectly in my almost-new Fuji camera, & will hold *Thousands* of photos at max resolution/min compression.

A less risky alternative is to buy one domestically. Buy dot com usually has good to excellent deals on memory cards, and with SD/SDHC you get maximum GB for the $$. And you might as well get something bigger than 2 GB- I'd go for a min of 4, more likely 8GB from a domestic seller.

Noob question. Will the SDHC work in SD devices?

Need a laugh? My eeePC came with an SD card in it. I tried and tried to download stuff to it. I eventually pulled it out and discovered it only looked like an SD card. It was just a chunk of plastic that looked at one.

Oh, I picked up a HP USB flash drive at Big Lots for $10.

Originally Posted By: labman

No.

Quote:

Need a laugh? My eeePC came with an SD card in it. I tried and tried to download stuff to it. I eventually pulled it out and discovered it only looked like an SD card. It was just a chunk of plastic that looked at one.

Yeah, that's just a dust cover. We've got one of these, too. The slot supports SDHC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No.

Oh! Is that true?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No.

Oh! Is that true?

Let me clarify: if your device only says that it supports "SD" and does not mention SDHC, like most older devices, then SDHC card will not work in it. I've got a bunch of few year old cameras and card readers that don't support SDHC media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back