Green GC in the Astra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a long time. It runs SMOOTH.

I reset the mpg computer and the onboard timer.

We'll see if the mpg takes a hit over 5w-30 dino and I'll track the hours of duty of the 6 month short trip oci I have planned.

Filler cap says 5w-30, but in Europe, everything gets a spec oil. I think it's GM LL-025A which is an A5 spec. Yes, GC might be a lil heavy, but still being a 30 weight, it should be good.

This is a summer oil for this app, with M1 0w-30 SL for winters.

This car does do almost all short trips, but my wife won't miss the slight perception of power loss.

Like I said, it is smooth and quiet.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It's been a long time. It runs SMOOTH.

Was it "rough" before? Are you sure you don't just "want" it to be smoother?

Last edited:
Interesting. I run a synthetic in my TL which gets tracked occasionally in 100+ degree weather and you go on and on about how dumb I am for using a synthetic in this car. Now you're using a synthetic in an economy car that I'm just going to guess will never see a track...... Lets have just a little consistancy here.

I would love to hear your thoughs as to why this is a good idea and compare it to the other thread where it was such a bad idea.

I almost fell off my chair when I saw this thread. AJ using a synthetic 0w30 and not a dino 15w40?
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm guessing AJ just has a big stash of GC that he doesn't know what to do with, so he's trying to use it up.

3 changes worth. Good cause in itself.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Interesting. I run a synthetic in my TL which gets tracked occasionally in 100+ degree weather and you go on and on about how dumb I am for using a synthetic in this car. Now you're using a synthetic in an economy car that I'm just going to guess will never see a track...... Lets have just a little consistancy here.

I would love to hear your thoughs as to why this is a good idea and compare it to the other thread where it was such a bad idea.

Summer, European car, meets spec, 6 month ocis, see the above response.

I'm not running out and buying $8/q oil to impress people. I have this 7 year-old oil sitting and waiting for use, and I found a good one.

This oil actually carries mfg specs and make the engine smoother, not rougher.

Logic is a [censored].

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
GC is a LL-025-A spec oil

We discussed this re the Saab oil. It carried A5 and LL025A. GC is A3, so kind of a discrepancy there.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm guessing AJ just has a big stash of GC that he doesn't know what to do with, so he's trying to use it up.

3 changes worth. Good cause in itself.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Summer, European car, meets spec, 6 month ocis, see the above response.

I'm not running out and buying $8/q oil to impress people. I have this 7 year-old oil sitting and waiting for use, and I found a good one.

This oil actually carries mfg specs and make the engine smoother, not rougher.

Logic is a [censored].

Yes, imagine the lack of logic of running Redline in a car that sees 10-15 minutes of WOT at the track at a time. It makes so much more sense to run it in an economy car....

Are you really saying the Redline makes my car run rougher? Do you really think I run $10 a quart oil to impress people on here? If so you should be banned for such a statement. Stop pretending you know something about oil or engines and sit back and absorb some information.. Now's your chance to redeem yourself from that UOA thread that you failed at.

But I love your response and how it dances around what you previously wrote about how syns were bad. I knew it would be interesting so thanks for that. We've got:

Summer: It's summer here.
European car: Dont know why this matters. Should I find some Japanese branded synthetic, would this be acceptable? I was unaware you had to use the "German" oil in a German car.
Meets Spec: That's really hard to do lol. I think maybe- just maybe Redline might exceed the OEM requirements lol.
6 month OC: Same here.

According to you, you can only run an oil that just barely meets your car's requirements so I think you should drain the GC out on the ground and find the cheapest $.89 dino and put it in there. You may blow the engine running a good syn that exceeds reqirements.

What you left out is OCI mileage, intended use, starting and operating temps. You just gave this really vague description.

Oh, another lesson in tortured logic from BuickGN.

Japanese cars spec off-the shelf dino oil, not Redline.

European cars spec European oil, end of story.

Your description of the Astra as an "economy" car highlights your lack of comprehension of automobiles in general. It's in fact a sport compact, emphasis on "sport", since it comes with the European suspension package and oversize brakes from the factory, making it "sportier" than either of the wretches you drive. A Buick and a "modded" TL...not even a TL-S, but an old TL with botched bodywork.

I still can't get over the hilarious notion of a TL out lumbering around a track. People must just stare in amazement. I personally have never actually seen a TL on a track, seen TSX, seen Accord Coupe, but *not* a TL. I've seen Astra too, which in fact holds track a record at Nurburgring.

A tracked automatic TL with Redline, BBK and ~crazy~ suspension mods must hold *some* kind of record too, but I'm too polite to ponder that here.

I hope you are able to overtake all the Buick LeSabres on the track, in the luxury class your car fits into.

LOL I drive a LeSabre! Slap some 18's and FE2 swaybars/springs on it, and it'll handle very well for being a FWD yacht! Both your cars had better spank it around the track.

Dino, syn, it doesn't really matter unless the OEM says it does. Find what meets the spec, and get on with life. There are more important things to worry about than if the GC or Redline is the pinnacle of oil perfection for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back