Why Does JAVA want to update so often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically every day UAC notifies me that Java is trying to change something on the Hard Drive... drives me nuts!

Did you update it recently? I believe Windoze version checks with Sun, errrr Oracle for Java updates. I believe Java 6 should be @ update 20.

Numerous security issues fixed in each update.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be getting an update every day, or even every week. It may be that an update failed to install properly and it keeps trying. If it becomes an annoyance, try removing Java from add/remove programs, then reinstall the latest version from Java.com. This should take care of the problem. Java DOES check to see if an update is available every day though, though it shouldn't be triggering UAC unless it is actually updating something.

it likes to be annoying. Many people at work don't like how it constantly pops up everyday from failing to check for an update because of the proxy. so then there's always the proxy window that pops up. Under control panel there's the java icon. Just open it up, go to the Update, and click to never check for updates.

I like how finally newer versions of Java attempt to at least remove the last version it replaced. I have some machines at work I discovered with over a dozen instances of previous verisons of Java.

Last edited:
I'd like to know to and I work for Sun, err Oracle.

Heck, I've even turned off the Java Updater, but apparently, it turns itself back on.

Frustrating.

It does trigger UAC as it tries to update automatically when you click on the notification in my instance of Win7 64 bit.

I'll eventually update it. I just don't want to do it at the time they suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back