AVG no longer likes me......

Status
Not open for further replies.
My labtop did a security update last night. After it was finished, it wanted to do a restart. No problem, so it did it.

Now my computer won't do anything. Can't find the network. (I can't even get into settings) Can't get into AVG either...

I'm giving some time on this restart to sit a while, not sure what to do. It's almost like it's running slow, or still running something. Ideas?

If you're using AVG and Zonealarm (which a lot of us do) sounds like you've run into an incompatability problem with the recent update to AVG 9.0. Happened to me a few weeks ago. AVG knows about it and is waiting for ZoneAlarm to fix it!!

I've gone back to AVG 8.5 (I still had the download) and everything works fine again.

There's lots of discussion of this on the AVG users forum.

Ecotourist

I would use the free Avira AV before I used AVG. The free Avira AV now has some protection against spyware, but maybe not enough protection against Trojan Horse programs according to some studies. Maybe use the free programs A-Squared, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntispyware that don't run in real time in addition to the Avira.

I have decided myself that the best AV programs today are Kaspersky, G-Data, the paid version of Avira, and Norton. There is an AV called Trustport that has incredible detection rates. I have not used it-I hear it slows a computer down badly.

For free AV programs I used to like AVG but today I like Avira and Microsoft Security Essentials. But I don't think these free AV programs really compare to Kaspersky, G-Data, the paid version of Avira, and Norton.

But if you like free than use Avira or MSEs with free programs like Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and SuperAntispyware.

Last edited:
I am now AVG free.

Turns out AVG did bring the labtop down to it's knees.

I'm following Bill's advice and trying MSE. So far both computers have really improved...faster. I guess AVG was really blogging them down.

From everything I have heard MSE is a decent antivirus. Not to mention it is free from Microsoft. And it does not bog down a computer. It scans kind of slow however.

I have heard that it detects all major bad stuff but probably does nothing to stop tracking cookies (a minor security issue anyway) and probably does not do much against adware. In any case tracking cookies have changed anyway. They went to flash based tracking cookies and now they are using some sort of technology that can't be defeated very easily.

I really like MSE. I have used it myself. What most concerns me about MSE is it may not defend much against adware or keyloggers. So I would recommend that you also use the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, the free version of SuperAntispyware, and perhaps the free version of A-Squared. These programs do not run in 'real time'-(they don't run all the time) and will not interfere with the MSE. You can keep them updated and scan with one of them once a week or once a month.

If a computer gets infected you can run F-Secure or Kaspersky from a CD with the antivirus running from a Linux O/S. This is what the bad guys often do-run Linux from a CD so that they can mount the Windows hard drive. Malware can't touch the A/V because it is running in a Linux environment on a CD.

I wish that it was possible to get a router that utilizes the Open BSD software. Open BSD is almost invincible. But still the computer operator needs to use common sense.

Other antivirus programs that do not bog down a computer include NOD32 and the new American antivirus-Vipre. From what I have heard NOD32 may have gone downhill somewhat. Apparently some stuff today will get past it. It does scan a lot faster than MSE. But you can't beat free.

I'm running AVG on 3 systems here. Not having any problems at all. On the desktop, my son installed Avast because he was told that AVG would mess up the system. I disabled it but didn't remove it. Might come in handy as a backup. I don't have any experience with Avast, but I've heard good things about it. From what I saw of it, the user interface looked nice.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free AV program for windows, it works better than anything else I have used, and it is totally free.

I do not like AVG anymore, and I wonder why some of you guys are using software firewalls like Zone Alarm..

My old computer was slowing down, natural part of windows aging I guess. I turned off zonealarm and it did speed up. Figured because I was behind a hardware router I was cool.

Got some pdf exploit, never figured it out, but it downloaded a virus and that was the start of the end. Zonealarm probably would have stopped it cold. Did have AVG 8.5 running at the time, missed it, and an attempt at an online scan with another service was thwarted.

I've always feared, perhaps irrationally, that the windows firewall has a big hole for media player etc that has a "secret club handshake" and, ergo, an exploit.

I got rid of AVG Free last year and have been using Avira since...pretty happy, combined with other Freeware that I use...

wifey's laptop still has AVG Free...

I think I should get rid of that and get MS SE on hers....

I quit using AVG after it kept asking me to restart my computer a couple years back.
I now use Avast that updates as many as three times in one day.

I tried MSE and it slowed my laptop down to a crawl. Dumped it and all is well.

I don't use Zone Alarm any more, just a hardware firewall and I'm amazed how fast the computers boot after dumping ZA.

Seems to me that these free versions of AVs and firewall get more bloated with each program update.

I really liked AVG a few years back. But it has changed. For free AV programs Avira and MSE are hard to beat. I have used both. I think they may allow some stuff through, however. There certainly is no excuse for anybody not using a AV program when Avira and MSE are available for free. Microsoft Security Essentials will not bog down a computer, although a full scan takes a while.

But the AV programs I prefer to use are Kaspersky, the new 2010 Norton, and if I could get them locally G-Data and Avira (paid version). These programs may be the best AV programs in the world for home computers. Norton is vastly improved, even compared to the 2009 Norton. Norton may even be very close to Kaspersky. I used to like NOD32 but I think it is slipping.

I don't buy much on the internet anymore so G-Data and Avira (paid version) are pretty much out of the discussion. So it comes down to Kaspersky or Norton for me.

Regardless what AV a person is using I recommend using the free versions of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and either SuperAntispyware or Ad-Aware. The free versions will not conflict with an AV because they don't run in real time. Another program to consider is the free version of A-Squared.

And get one or two or so AV programs on CDs running versions of Linux. These could really come in handy if your computer gets infected. F-Secure, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and I think Panda will all run in Linux from a CD. Check the websites to see how to do this.

Running an antivirus protects you only from known malicious modules.The writers modify those modules so quickly, that anti-viruses are unable to detect them untill you will be infected with it.

That is why you need a HIPS-sandbox-virtualization solution- it protects you from all types of malicious software (malware), known and unknown.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
Good luck,if your depending upon just an antivirus,your gonna need it. Just remember,prevention is alot easier to deal with,then trying to clean up an infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back