Rusty chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Took our mtbs out today and before riding saw rust on the chains on both our bikes.

Probably got wet at the end of the last year and forgot to lube/service.

I'm going to apply motor oil to make the chain usable and will service when we get home...

But what are the pros/cons of a stainless versus a steel chain? Our cassettes showed no rust whatsoever.

I know nothing beats a clean and lubed chain, and we will be installing a break in the chains so it's easy to get off, and this was a mistake on my part...

But all the same, is a stainless chain smart to use, especially for a heavier rider?

What are the best ones for shimano/SRAM drivetrains?

Thanks!

Stainless chains are fine. In a bike situation, I haven't found SS chains to be any stronger. The metal is typically harder though, and it can wear out cassettes and chainrings more quickly than a regular chain.

You aren't going to break any quality chain that is in its useful service life, regardless of weight, unless you are cross-chaining (putting the chain at a strange angle such as being in the largest chainring and largest cassette sprocket, for example) or shifting under power (which you should never do).

I'd pick up a mid-level SRAM chain over a Shimano chain, especially as a casual rider, as the pins in Shimano chains cannot be re-used and SRAM Powerlink master links are very easy to use.

Lube your chain up and it will be good to go. A little surface rust is harmless. But I also recommend closely inspecting your chain (yeah a PITA) for frozen links and bent side plates.

A SS chain might not be such a good idea, especially if the SS starts to work harden with flexing and such.

This is the chain we recommend and sell:

KMC 8X

These things are fairly indestructible even with chubby guys and highly modded engines.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
U got me,,,,,I ride a Harley, amen.

I'm sorry. JK

Ride to live---Live to Ride

If the old chain is fine other than a little rust, clean it up (scotch-brite pad coated with oil) and lube it good/then wipe off - should be fine.

SS chains do seem to wear out other parts quicker, not really any stronger/more durable from my experiences.

I once bought an early 70's Peugeot from a flea-market for 10-bucks. Nice high-quality frame with decent components, but rusted cables and chain. A complete set of x-mart cables ($5.00), a can of 3-in-1 oil, and 2 pair of needle nose pliers and good to go.

First I sprayed the chain with WD-40 and let it sit for about an hour - then wiped it off and applied 3-in-1 oil to the whole thing.

I will tell you it took a while to loosen up the frozen links in the chain with the 2-pliers method, but it worked. I then cleaned the sides of the (well oiled) chain with a scotch-brite pad and wiped it off. Looked great and smooth too - got many a mile out of that old rusted chain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back