John Deere mower with B&S engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone own the particular model with the mini oil filter?

547243_2010_engine_8_75.jpg

Thinking about getting it because well I like the idea of the oil filter, which means pressurized lubrication.

I have the same motor on a 2006 Toro Super Recycler mower. It uses a Napa Gold 1394. Nice motor, always starts on the first or second pull. Lets of power for bagging or mulching.

Since new, it smokes like a pig for 1-2 seconds at start up. Uses no oil through out the mowing season. I have talked to a couple of B&S factory trained techs and they both say that this model does that on start up. The oil looks cleaner during the mowing season compared to my old mowers that didn't have an oil filter.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Thinking about getting it because well I like the idea of the oil filter, which means pressurized lubrication.

Nope.

Right. There could be just a little gerotor pump in there that circulates oil through the filter. Dunno without a parts schematic.

Joel

I do see that now with the schematic and I read it somewhere else after posting.

So group consensus then, is the oil filter worth the money or should I just scrap the idea and go cheaper for now. The yard is a bunch of weeds now but I'd like to have it back to full grass. That includes removal of a bunch of trees.

I was left a very dirty and old lawn mower with a huge gash in the deck. Like the blade sent something up through the steel deck or the blade itself haha.

It actually runs though I figured the crankshaft was bent but it seems fine. At the worst I'd thought of craigslist for it. I wanted a mower that would mulch the many leaves I will be getting yet again this fall.

I was thinking about a Honda as well, although I never owned anything with a Honda engine before. They seem to make a mower for just my purpose but the thought of an engine that small with a filter intrigues me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back