McAfee never got it right- now completely wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything, all 300+ computers at my company were down this morning. In my field office, we had two working computers between 50 or so employees. I had an extended lunch from 7AM to about 4PM lol. The two that were up only worked because they were shut off at the time and didn't recieve the update. IT came up with a script quickly but since all computers could not connect to the network, they had to go around to every computer to download it.

To fix this on my work laptop, I had to boot it into safe mode and rename the McAfee directory in program files to McAffee.is.a.piece.of.[censored] -- then rebooted it and it worked.

The McAfee update caused the entire computer system at my University to collapse today. It was a complete disaster.

Fortunately, we use Sophos at the university where I work. No problems here.

Honestly, with all the issues with McAfee and Norton (e.g. resource bloat) over the last few years, why does anyone bother?

Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows computers at home, and that works rather well. For better or worse, my Linux computers are antivirus-free.

McAfee= Always been garbage!

I'm so glad I dont run an antivirus anymore,especially when I see things like this happening.
banana2.gif

I removed McAfee from my XP partition about a year ago and am so glad
I did. I'd be in a forgiving mood if I thought they'd learn enough
from this to prevent a repeat...but I am not optimistic that will
happen. Glad I wasn't in the office today (I telecommute)-many
machines there and throughout the company were taken down by this
event. OTOH, Ubuntu continues to be a mostly positive experience for
me.

Norton no longer bloats, it the king of light resources. Symantec threw a sheet load of money and resources at it. Fast, light, low memory useage. our techs took convincing but gradually came around. As for Mcoffee (it's what you need lots of working with it) nuff said.

Not that it matters but all day yesterday at work I was thinking how glad I was that I took this garbage off my computer and installed Kaspersky instead.

What do you guys thing of Kaspersky anyway?

Originally Posted By: heypete
Fortunately, we use Sophos at the university where I work. No problems here.

Honestly, with all the issues with McAfee and Norton (e.g. resource bloat) over the last few years, why does anyone bother?

Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows computers at home, and that works rather well. For better or worse, my Linux computers are antivirus-free.

I took the plunge and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials because it has been highly recommended by folks on here and elsewhere. Of course, Microsoft had to download all the latest updates for my XP Home SP2 on this 4 year old laptop. I had automatic updating turned off so you may know the mess that created.
This machine slowed down to an absolute crawl with that stuff on here!

To make a long story short, I dumped all that and all is well.

Avast works for me and I haven't used a Symantec product or McAfee in years.

The Enterprise McAfee works fairly well for what it is. We have it at work, and unfortunately yesterday was not a fun day. We only have a 100 or so PC's at work, but having to touch everyone of them is time consuming. Not to mention rebooting and waiting to get into Safe Mode. Most users let it shut the system down, and messed the SVChost file up, and that crippled the system.

They have an updated DAT file, but still requires the SVChost file to be fixed. Most people weren't happy that this happened yesterday. Good thing month end is friday so we have today and tomorrow to recover.

ddrumman, use ccleaner after doing that many updates. My SP3 systems performed way better than any SP1 or Pre XP systems.

I had mcafee that I kept updated for years, but my wife got a couple of viruses 1.5 yrs ago using that junk. I've been using avast ever since.

Our work switched to Kaspersky a few months ago. No problems so far.

I used to run McAfee on our home PC's until 6 months ago, but switched to a free AV program (I forget which one) because I didn't feel McAfee was worth what they were charging for a subscription to their updates.

People hit the hardest by this were those who had their AV software set to automatically update. I've always waited a day or two before installing antivirus or windows updates for just this reason.

I have not seen much on the news about this. Is this not a major news story? I have heard that thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of computers have been affected. But you would not know it from the TV news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back