2005 VW Beetle TDI -- Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 -- 9000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image3-2.jpg

--- 51,000 miles on car, 9000 miles on the oil. ---

Not sure about this. Iron seems high, even though Blackstone seems unconcerned. Boron most certainly gets used up because VOA's of this oil have shown boron @ over 200ppm.

No trending data because this is first oil analysis ever. Prior oil was Mobil 1 TDT and before that Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30 (505.01), and before than Castrol TXT 5W40. Oil filter is VW OE bought at dealer parts counter (Hengst?...)

Should also be noted that about 2/3 those 9000 miles on the oil were urban/suburban short trips and most of that during midwest (cold) winter. Morning startups were after sitting in heated garage (garage temp @ 55 F on avg duiring winter) but only a 5 - 7 mile drive to her work, then cold parking lot start up at 5pm and short trip it home 5 - 7 miles.

Blackstone seems happy with it, so I guess I should be happy. Not sure I want to go for 11K miles on the new fill of this same oil, though. Maybe 8000 next time to match the universal avg they mentioned.

I have a 02 Beetle Diesel - Just curious why you run Mobil 1? That oil is no longer 100% pure synthetic if I'm not mistaken.

I run Amsoil European Formula in my Bug (and all my other vehicles). I've been running 7K intervals on the oil changes.

Mobil 1 ESP uses a group IV base oil, and is made in the European Union. Its not the same as regular Mobil 1, and it is 507 approved as far as VW oil specs go. 507 supercedes VW oil specs 506.01 and 505.01, and can be run in the Pumpe Duese VW TDI's (model yrs 2004 - 2006 in North America).

The car is now going to be logging mostly highway miles, with her having started a new job that requires an approx 50 mile commute each way, most of it on the interstate. This higher accumulation of miles will have me doing the next oil change in about 3 and half months. I used Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 again and plan to run it to 9000 miles once more in order to have an apples-to-apples run on the oil to see which way Fr (iron) wear goes. It should trend downwards with highway cruising becoming the predominant driving.

I switched to the Motul 507 5w-30 oil one year ago. This from Motul 505.01 5w-40 oil. I noticed my mpgs went up slightly. I change at 6,000 miles. Anyone who objects to that is welcome to pick up my used oil for their TDI PD. My next change, in 1,000 miles, will be to the Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP based on price. My understanding is the formulation is pretty much the same as the Motul with more esters than a 505.01 oil.

My rubber band change is due in 7,000 miles and then I will really get an idea of how the engine is doing. Until then, I have not looked into the engine and don't intend to do so.

I think a lot of the 505.01 oils use Group III base oil. Motul does tend to use more ester base than most anyone else.

Instead of the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30, I would recommend the ESP Formula M 5w40 for the TDI PD engines -- and the newer TDI CR engines after the warranty. Not a whole lot of difference between the two oils, but I think the 5w40 is just a little more robust. It might reduce the Fe wear numbers...but even if it doesn't, it will still do a good job over the normal 10k-mile OCI.

Thx, I will keep that in mind. Next oil change only a couple months out... she's racking up the highway miles with her new commute now.

Not trying to change the subject but what can these VW approved oils do that a good CJ-4 oil such as Delvac,Rotella,Delo,Schaeffer,ect. could not do?

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Not trying to change the subject but what can these VW approved oils do that a good CJ-4 oil such as Delvac,Rotella,Delo,Schaeffer,ect. could not do?

Meet VW warranty requirements.

Some TDI owners who are out of warranty period do use CJ4 oil though. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck is growing in popularity among TDI enthusiasts.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I think a lot of the 505.01 oils use Group III base oil. Motul does tend to use more ester base than most anyone else.

No ester as a rule in the road going Motul oils, not unless stated on the can, just group 3

Racing oils have ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back