Cub Cadet 2150 Rear Diff\Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Cub Cadet 2150 purchased around 1999.

It has over 300 hours of service, I'm doing my spring service and have such performed the following...

1. Fuel Filter
2. Air Filter w\pre-cleaner
3. Greased front wheel\front suspension grease points
4. Replaced Spark Plug

I'm going to be servicing the engine with a oil change w\filter.

However the transmission makes a high pitched whirring noise under load, and the shifter is very stiff to move. This unit does not have a filter, and I think some water, and dirt have made way into the rear differential via the dipstick...

I want to know if I can change the fluid safely, and what alternatives to the 100.00 dollars worth of Cub Cadet OEM fluid I can use.

I have no idea the fluid requirements, for viscosity, or ratings and my owners manual doesn't list anything specific, a quick google search didnt turn up much can anyone hear please make some recommendations.

Thanks!

I don't think many will answer this because the spec will need to be known to make a recommendation.

I have a 86 Cub Cadet and I use Farm type universal tractor gear/tranmission lube. It works like an hydralic oil, but it won't mush up when moisture rears it's ugly head.

Go read the spec off of the can of tranny/rear lube from Cub cadet.

Found this on a Cub Cadet Discussion:

Per the spec page for the Cub Cadet Tank M48 KW, it uses dual Hydro-Gear PK-12 pumps and White wheel motors. Cub specs the oil as Rimula 15w40, like it does for all the Hydro-Gear equipped ZTRs commercial or residential. Any heavy-duty 15w40 engine oil will work perfectly in these units.

People on the site said they have been using Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for all of the cub cadet hydro systems for quite a few years, none reporting any problems or any different function from the CC brand oil.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: Vspec

However the transmission makes a high pitched whirring noise under load, and the shifter is very stiff to move. This unit does not have a filter...

You got me curious with those statements. Shifter? No filter? Does this unit have an "AG" designation somewhere near the "2150" logo? If so, this would be the Cub "Auto gear" transmission which is actually a heavy-duty (and rare) gear drive they had for a few years. You select a gear range with the fender shifter and mash the go pedal on the floor board instead of conventional clutch/shifting. The most common wear part on these transaxles is people wear the clutches out by feathering the go pedal as opposed to keeping it pressed full and regulating ground speed with the fender shifter. The AG trans spec'd the same oil as the hydro equipped units so yes, use the advice you quoted me on earlier. 15w40.

Joel

JTK, this mower does have the setup you are referencing.

Their is a gear selector that goes from N-1-2-3-4-5-6, with a go pedal on the same side.

I will be using Shell Rotella T 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back