Resurrecting an old Diamond Back mountain bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 1996-1997 vintage Diamond Back Outlook which my parents bought for me when I was a teenager and I've let it neglect and collect rust behind the backyard for the past 10 years. I found a volunteer shop that also lets you work on your own bikes - which saves $ on tools. The bike's been stripped bare, there's surprisingly little rust on the frame, except at the rear wheel dropouts and where the kickstand mounted - I'll address the kickstand mount with POR-15. My plan of attack is to change out the headset, bottom bracket and crank as I can't find bottom bracket spindles, install new levers/cables/grips, true the front wheel, and touch up the paint.

I had some parts sitting in my garage - but I have a rusted but functional front derailleur, but the back derailleur needs a new upper chainwheel. Should I just clean the derailleurs and replace the chainwheel on the rear one or should I replace those? Should I also replace the brake pads - the junk Lee Chi brakes were replaced with Shimano Deore LX cantilevers which sat outside, but the brakes themselves are in great shape for the conditions they sat in.

My rule of thumb on replacing components is: If you wonder whether you should replace a component, replace it. You will thank yourself later. On any bike that has been out in the elements for any length of time, I would replace anything made from plastic or rubber, and replace or re-pack all bearings.

You are obviously a patient person to be able to restore a bike to ride-able condition. My bike restoration method involves whole bike transplant. :)

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

You are obviously a patient person to be able to restore a bike to ride-able condition. My bike restoration method involves whole bike transplant. :)

That'll happen in a year or so if I decide to pick up a road bike. :) I have too many expensive hobbies at the moment.

I'd definitely replace the whole bottom bracket no matter what.

What is wrong with the cog on the derailur?

As for replacing that and the pads, I'd get things rolling and then see how you feel about it's performance once you can ride it.

Wow its kind of rare to hear of an older Diamondback Outlook. I used to have a 2001 Diamondback Outlook, very good bike for its price.

Is your plan to make the bike in rideable condition or do you want to a full restoration on the bike? I would first spray some Tri-Flow on the moving pivoting points on the derailer, brake hardware, brake lever, and inside the cable housings. You can clean and re-grease the ball bearings for the wheels and the headset, I use the Park Tools Polylube grease. Clean and re-oil the chain. I don't know if the bottom bracket is the cartridge kind or the ball bearing kind. On my 01 Outlook it had ball bearings on both sides but I could put in a cartridge if I wanted to. Brake pads I would replace them since the rubber material gets hard over time and you want good working breaks of course. If the rear derailer works but needs a new upper chainwheel then I would replace that.

Another thing you might want to consider doing is replacing the inner rim liner. I found that on older bikes you can get punctures from the spoke nipples.

I'm doing an restoration - but as cheaply as possible. The cables are rusted when I took them off. The headset and bottom bracket are shot - I was able to get a Ritchey Logic 1-1/8 threaded one for $17 shipped. I have a front wheel - a Ritchey Rock Comp wheel, but I need to find a rear wheel with a 7-speed Shimano cassette on it.

The original chain - a KMC is long gone but I had a SRAM chain that spent its life soaking in ATF to keep it rust free - and my dividend somewhat paid off. I'm soaking it in citrus degreaser and keeping it in a Ziploc afterwards to keep it rust free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back