Magnefine Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some insight about these in-line filters.

I have seen these filters installed, especially after transmission repairs so I'm somewhat familiar with them.

I have heard recently that they are intended to be disassembled and cleaned rather than replaced, as shown with the installation instructions packaged with the filter.

Can anyone either verify or debunk this?

They are not rebuildable.

I am very impressed with the filter/product. I installed the 3rd transmission/diffie in my Town&Country with the 3.8 engine. This time...from the start, I installed Redline C+ ATF, a transmission cooler, and a Magnafine inline transmission filter. I R&R the Magnafine@ 30K, did not touch the panfilter and I am close to an additional 30K. I have a small leak and replace about a 1/2 quart of ATF every 5K or so. The transmisson shifts great, the ATF is rosie red and I might just R&R at 60K and keep going.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
They are not rebuildable.

I am very impressed with the filter/product. I installed the 3rd transmission/diffie in my Town&Country with the 3.8 engine. This time...from the start, I installed Redline C+ ATF, a transmission cooler, and a Magnafine inline transmission filter. I R&R the Magnafine@ 30K, did not touch the panfilter and I am close to an additional 30K. I have a small leak and replace about a 1/2 quart of ATF every 5K or so. The transmisson shifts great, the ATF is rosie red and I might just R&R at 60K and keep going.

Good deal:) Do you think the better fluid, the cooler or the magnefine played a bigger role in the longer service life?

IMO I think they would work in harmony.
Synthetic transmission fluid always has a longer service life, then removing more contaminants with magnefine would help. Then the cooler would reduce the heat load and oxidization, keeping the fluid in good shape.

I just want to add not every transmission needs an additional cooler. Using Amsoil ATF and magnafine on my car bulk oil temp has only been running 130F with no cooling changes. On the rare occassions I travel out of town and the speeds and hills go up the temperature does go up. I have more then 1 year on the magnafine on my transmission now. I changed the last one with 25k miles, although it had ferrous material on the magnet the filter was clean.

I've got them on both vehicles. I just took apart the one on my Silverado and cleaned the magnet then reinstalled it. I do replace them yearly though. I was just curious as to how dirty it was. It took a small pipe wrench to get it to unscrew. Channel locks would work fine too.

Jim,

The black Magnefine filter is not designed to be rebuilt, cleaned or reused. The filter has a one way thread used in the manufacturing process and although you can open it up to inspect the internals after being in service, it is highly discouraged using the filter after it has been opened.

We sell a performance edition version made out of billeted aluminum that has a replaceable magnet and filter cartridge if you would like to go that route.

If you ever have a question, send me a PM or I can be reached at 800-382-7233

Regards,
Greg
Vandal Alert Automotive Products
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back