Standards A3/B3/B4 versus norm E3,E4 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dear, tell me what you will give me better protection and ensure greater longevity of the engine in a passenger car with diesel oil, or oil A3/B3/B4 for trucks such as E3-E9?

Are these standards can be compared to each other somehow eg A3/B4 with - E3, E5, etc. ....

First and foremost please mention application, driving profile, fuel economy and engine type. The commercial spec oils have the potential to be different from the passenger spec oils, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way.

As a rule, ACEA A3/B3 will be the most robust oil you can buy, A1/B1 being a standard interval oil and A5/B5 being an extended drain oil. A1 is not as robust as A3, but A5 may be depending. It seems that some oils hold multiple ratings.

A3/B4 is the most robust pass. car oil. A5/B5 is the same specs but 2.9B3 and A3/B4 is HTHS>3.5
A1/B1 is low viscosity "fuel economy oil", similar to A5/B5. Here are the tests:
http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/20090105_081211_ACEA_Oil_Sequences_Final.pdf
If you are going to try an "E" oil in a pass car. don't use E4, it has too much ash; use E7 or E9, except if it's a diesel with a DPF (calling for a "C" oil) use E6.

Charlie

Thank you,
Can I write so that oil is better for trucks to passenger cars with diesel?

Most oils for passenger cars have a standard API: CF, is not that enough?
What will give us the standard CI-4 in the passenger car and what is CF?

Can I have the equivalent of oils A3/B3/B4 vs E3/E4/E7?

Did E3-E7 oil provides better protection and engine life compared to A3/B4/B4?

regards

Originally Posted By: Pidziek

Did E3-E7 oil provides better protection and engine life compared to A3/B4/B4?

regards

Not necessarily.
The only "E" oils that provide higher detergency than Mobil 1 0W40 are E4 oils. Which should not be used in petrol motors due to very high ash content. I doubt any great harm would result from use in a light diesel.
Both Mobil 1 0w40 and the truck oils have very high dispersancy and very adequate antiwear additive levels.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back