what oil for pressure washer motor and pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today the landa 6.5 honda needed a change. I have never changed its oil . This was a home depot rental , bought privately and then purchased by me. This washer has done probably 30+ decks since I owned it. The oil was gross ,but not totaled. I took a wheel off, tipped it over into my Chiltons pan and drained it all. I had a couple quarts of straight 30 weight lying around and of the two I had , Valvoline hd got the nod over sears craftsman small engine oil.I do have some general pump hydraulic pump oil ,but it was red and I did not want to use that. I put the Valvoline in both the pump(ar) and motor.
I was just wondering what you would have used. Now do not say Red line or Amsoil. I'm not spending that kind of cash on a $60 washer. Who makes a good pump oil and a good motor oil in s.a.e. 30 ?

For the Pressure washer pump, most recommend 30wt non-detergent. Usually available at mom&pop convenience stores. Usually is SA API.

For the Engine, any good 30wt detergent oil (PYB, VWB, etc).

Just my .02

Dave

I would have went with the same oil you used or any other quality brand conventional oil of the correct viscosity.

Id get the right oil, not just some API SA we assume is right.

HD and other stores usually sell pump oil. Is your pump a CAT? If so, use their oil.

The pump is an Italian Annovi Reverberi Pump. Come on , this bitog. There has to be better oil for the pump than factory oil that only adds zinc in the m.s.d.s.

I plum wore out a pressure washer pump on the factory fill straight 30 wt SA oil. It ran much too hot for an unihibited oil. I wound up installing a new pump (manufacturer sent it free) and formulated my own POE/PAO 30 wt oil for it. It now runs much cooler and smoother.

If I had to buy something, I would look for a straight 30 weight HDEO or SL oil, and would use a 10W-30 synthetic if I couldn't find one.

Tom NJ

the Valvoline oil I am using is sae 30 rated sm/sl and exceeds ilsac gf-4 . I was just worried about the detergent in it washing off and wrecking the pump. Maybe I am getting the bitog paranoia....

Originally Posted By: chad8
The pump is an Italian Annovi Reverberi Pump. Come on , this bitog. There has to be better oil for the pump than factory oil that only adds zinc in the m.s.d.s.

I have the same brand pump on my pressure washer, IIRC it used gear oil in the pump.

Im not understanding the non detergent oils. By the way most talk, the detergents are what is causing foaming. I would think every motor has anti foam agents in the add pack. Perhaps someone could clear this up for me. I have been buying the briggs and stratton synthetic pump oil for my pump, but i have read so many people just using gear oil. The gear oil would be much cheaper but im still a little nervous about using it.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Im not understanding the non detergent oils. By the way most talk, the detergents are what is causing foaming. I would think every motor has anti foam agents in the add pack. Perhaps someone could clear this up for me. I have been buying the briggs and stratton synthetic pump oil for my pump, but i have read so many people just using gear oil. The gear oil would be much cheaper but im still a little nervous about using it.

I use the B&S Synthetic pump oil too,and I believe it is the only thing that made my one season wonder Faip pump last more than 4 years now. And when I change it,it still looks pretty good.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: jstutz

I use the B&S Synthetic pump oil too,and I believe it is the only thing that made my one season wonder Faip pump last more than 4 years now. And when I change it,it still looks pretty good.

My cheapo IC-2 pump does not need oil, The rig was given to me, so I am not complaining. Although I think I can pee harder than it will spray at times. My neighbor has a commercial rig (general 8gpm pump Hot Water, etc) all he uses in it is 30 ND SA oil. This is his paycheck. The rig has over 2000 hours on it. It has 24 horse Honda GX that gets rotella t-6 every hundred hours. When I need to do my driveway, He lets me borrow the trailer. I cut his yard several times during the year as payback.

IF you can find the B&S or CAT pump oil it would be preferred. Orange Box store has B&S pump oil.

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back