STP and synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a dumb question but here it goes. Can a person use stp with a synthetic oil to boost zinc?

If so how much thicker does stp make an oil. For example, does it make a 10w30 into a 40wt etc...?

It turns 10w-30 into what's known as motor honey
grin.gif
Why do you think you need more zinc? Do you have a flat tappet pushrod engine with a 9,000 rpm redline??? If not, then you really don't need anymore zinc.

Thanks guys. I was just curious. I was considering a synthetic oil and if they have enough zinc in them.

Actually, I run Havoline 20w50 SL in my modified Pontiac 400. I just got off the Havoline Web page it stated that this oil has 0.103 zinc in it. Is this amount suffient if I stick with a conventional oil.

I've switched between Delo 15w40 and the Havoline 20w50 a several times and my motor seemed to run better and smoother on the Havoline.

I ran Royal Purple 15w40 for a short time. With the Royal Purple my motor was very quiet and smooth. However what spooked me was the way it thinned down. Maybe it was just in my head. I'm sorry, I'm off the subject.

Thanks Paul. What other products are available? I know there's a GM additive but can't remember the name of it. Is it EOS? Does this product thicken your oil or just add zinc. I don't want any thicker oil.

The EOS is around 6000 ppm zinc and phosphorus so you would not need much (ounces) to boost zddp.

STP will thicken unless you can get some of the discontinued STP 6000-Mile Oil Extender.

Big Lots is selling CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost (15 oz pink bottle) for $1.99. It has around 4500 ppm zinc and phosphorus and so half a bottle would be a pretty good boost. It is thicker but not nearly as much as STP and so should not appreciably thicken your oil.

There also is a product that some Walmarts carry called Powerservice Diesel Lube Oil Extender. There is a VOA on this site. I think around 3500 ppm zinc and phosphorus and not thick.

quote:

Originally posted by James408:
What other products are available? I know there's a GM additive but can't remember the name of it. Is it EOS? Does this product thicken your oil or just add zinc. I don't want any thicker oil.

You might want to look into SX-UP from Specialty Formulations (a BITOG site sponsor).

http://specialtyformulations.com/products.htm

quote:

SX-UP
Synthetic Multiple Anti-Wear Oil Supplement

SX-UP is a select blend of premium anti-wear (AW), extreme pressure (EP), anti-oxidant, and anti-corrosion additives in a fully synthetic carrier oil. It is designed specifically to boost the additive levels of modern SL/SM rated motor oils to meet the needs of older engine designs that require a more robust anti-wear package. SX-UP is compatible with old and new engine seals and is fully miscible in conventional or synthetic motor oils.

The new "STP Racers Edge" product that comes in a quart sized container is much thinner then previous products. I think if anything this new product might be the best choice of a low cost additive available OTC. I think it runs $5.99 at Walmart.

If you want a really well designed additive that is not going to thicken your oil check out "SX-UP".

Thanks guys I really appreciate the info. This SX-UP, can you find it in stores or do you have to order it from the above web site.

Dont be afraid to order its all top quality stuff.
I'm going to ordering a nice load for the 3 rangers in the family now...

That being said if you are worried about thickening
with something else use 15w40 and with the additive.. you got your 20w50
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back