1982 Mercedes 240D

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 1982 Mercedes 240D in our family that I will be able to purchase within the coming year. It has always been maintained very well. I am just wondering what the recommended weight oil is for this. I'm thinking 15w40. But was wondering if a 5w40 synthetic would also be ok to use.

Thanks

Yes, and wow, my dad had one.

In your climate 15w-40 should be good most of the year. I'd start with a few runs of it to clean things up a lil.

Years ago a close friend had one like yours and they used M1 15-50 which worked well for them. I believe they did 10K OCIs.

Ive owned four w123 cars. I currently have an 81 240D with 73k on it, and an 82 300CD with 160k.

Personally, I always swap over to 5w-40, at least in the winter. I have no issue running 15w-40 more than just in a pinch, but especially in the winter, a little bit of added oil flow and reduced viscosity is a good thing.

One good option would be to run rotella 15w-40 in the warm months and 5w-40 in the cold ones.

Be sure to do a valve adjustment to get that inline, and go from there. Any questions let me know. How many miles does it have? These are cars that truly arent broken in until after 100k.

AND DEFINITELY PROVIDE PICTURES!!!! :)

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
The car has 400k miles! Still runs and looks like new. Engine rebuild was done about 70k ago.

I ran Ursa 15w40 in my 77 240D year round and never had any problems. It had close to 300,000 miles on it when I sold it and still ran great and didn't consume any oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back