Suggested oil for 2006 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2006 F150 Crew Cab with 35,000 miles. It has had conventional oil changes every 3,000 miles. I am considering changing to synthetic oil for the benefits I have read about. I am trying to minimize wear and make my engine last as long as possible. I have heard using synthetic oil also improves MPG, while this isn't a requirement it would definitely be an added bonus if true.

1. What kind of vehicle you have

2006 Ford F150 Crew Cab FX4 4x4 - 35,000 miles

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

API, ILSAC Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.

3. Where you live

Cincinnati, OH

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

I drive it easy at speed limit and don't take it off road.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

My daily commute is 60 miles round trip with about 56 miles of that being interstate driving right at 55-70 mph.

Weekends consist of around town driving with the occasional weekend trip to the in-laws about 100 miles away.

6. Whether your car has any known problems

I have no known problems with this truck. There are currently no leaks of any kind.

What would be the best synthetic oil for me to use in my application? If synthetic is not recommended for my application, what would the best conventional oil be for me to use.

motorcraft syn blend 5-20
Pen Plat 5-20
Pen Ultra 5-20

M1 5-20 or even 0-20

Best bet is any of these but the MC blend is a great product and price point for your application

With 35k miles on an '06, I'm assuming you're still under warranty. AFAIK, that means you are limited to 7500 miles for OCI's. Buy any 20-weight synthetic you can get for a good price and run it for 7500 miles - Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Syntec....etc....

If this truck ISN'T under warranty, (or you don't care) and you want to go REAL long on oil changes, you want to get Amsoil ASM 0W-20, Amsoil SSO 0W-30, Castrol Edge 5W-20, or M1 EP 5W-20, and go about 15k on a change.

There are a few questions that need to be asked.

Do you change your own oil?

Do you mind changing oil every 3,000 miles?

Do you want to extend your oil changes? By how much?

How much is too much for oil or a oil change?

As far as benefits you will not see much in the way of fuel economy difference or even wear per say. What I use Syn oil for is it's bigger cushion of protection, better cleanliness potential and cold weather and hot running protection.

As far as oils, any of the name brand Syn oils will work. Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 being very good and found about everywhere and really reasonable at Walmart by the jug. Just run the weight Ford says.

**Another consideration would be running a high efficency oil filter like a Mobil 1 or Bosch Premium/Purolator Pure 1 or a WIX/Napa Gold/Car Quest Blue filter.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go 15k on a 5.4 without UOA for that matter on any vehicle. I'd just change it at 10k after you get a few changes on a brand

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I wouldn't go 15k on a 5.4 without UOA for that matter on any vehicle. I'd just change it at 10k after you get a few changes on a brand

Who said it's a 5.4?

I did
33.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
There are a few questions that need to be asked.

Do you change your own oil?

Do you mind changing oil every 3,000 miles?

Do you want to extend your oil changes? By how much?

How much is too much for oil or a oil change?

Yes, I change my own oil.

I would prefer going longer than 3,000 miles between oil changes as I would be changing about every 2 months. The recommended 7500 in the manual as mentioned in an earlier reply would be more ideal.

I would say $60+/- for an oil change.

Also, it is a 5.4L which I believe is standard in FX4 models.

Correct is it standard......thats how know. I also know Fords a little bit

Get some pennzoil Platinum and an 820S filter and set your OCI at 7500 and never worry about it. Cost would be roughly 40.00

Walmart has 5qt jugs of PP 5-20 for 20.50 currently. So eithe buy a jug and 2 qts or take advantage a buy a few jugs. 820S filter will run you about 3.50.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input.

I will give Pennzoil Platinum a try. I have been reading good things about Pennzoil Ultra, but I don't even know it is out yet. If it is, I might go that route.

Zach Ultra is out, check your walmart. I'm running it in my 5.4 and so far it's been excellent. Draining in the moring with 7900 miles on it for a UOA

How can you beat a 5 qt jug of MC synthetic blend 5w-20 for $11.50 at Wal-mart + a MC filter for $3.50?

5k intervals are easy to remember, still conservative and easy on your wallet!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
How can you beat a 5 qt jug of MC synthetic blend 5w-20 for $11.50 at Wal-mart + a MC filter for $3.50?

5k intervals are easy to remember, still conservative and easy on your wallet!

This makes tons of sense. 15.00 bucks for an oil change and you can go by the factory recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I pay almost as much just for the filter as you do for the whole oil change.

What are you running?

That engine will run forever with a steady diet of Motorcraft at 5k intervals

Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 and a Bosch Distance Plus D3500 oversize filter on a Dodge 4.7 V8. I'm not really knocking your choices. That's your business. The only suggestion I would SERIOUSLY make is swapping the Motorcraft filter for a Purolator Pure One. Much better filter and only a few bucks more. It also is rated at 99% efficient at catching 20 micron size particles. That translates into much less engine wear compared to a basic filter.

I only use Motorcraft filters on my Fords. Flow is just as important as filtering. With the Motorcraft you know that you are getting a filter that works well for your engine. I also like MC 5W20 oil.

So, in turn, I should only be running Mopar filters on my Dodge? That's your logic in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back