Trunk-mounted bike rack recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't found much in the archives on this... if it was already covered, please share a link to an earlier discussion.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 2-bike trunk-mounted rack. I want something with good padding so that the car's paint won't suffer.

Would this Yakima SuperJoe 2 be a good choice? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

I think the one I posted doesn't have padded buckles. Looks like the KingJoe does. Any thoughts on this one?

It's more than what I was hoping to spend, but....

I have a Saris Bones. It is expensive but amazing. It fits on anything I've ever had. You could buy one used, there isn't much that could break.

This Fuji bike folds in half and fits on my trunk.
DSC00145.jpg

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
You might want to ask your local police department...Alot of the cops down here have a bike rack attached to the rear of their Crown Victorias and Chargers.

Thanks, although somehow I doubt if they care much whether their Police cruiser's paint gets scratched or not.

Actually it is far enough away from the trunk so no scratches occur..I have seen up to 2 bikes hooked up at a time...The cops down here are fussy about their cars...Especially the ones who have the sprinkling of Hemi Chargers.

If I see a cop long enough at a stop I'll ask if he knows where they get them from.

Once in awhile I go on a cop forum [Officer.com] so I will see if I can get some info for you...They have a section on there called Ask A Cop.

Actually it is far enough away from the trunk so no scratches occur..

Thanks. I'm not worried about the bikes scratching the trunk. I'm talking about the metal/plastic hooks (buckles?) of the rack itself that latch onto the trunk near the back window.

One of the cops I asked said check out YAKIMA KINGJOE 2-BIKE CARRIER.

Thanks. That is the one I linked to in my second post. I guess I'll pick that one up.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Install a hitch and use a hitch rack. More expensive but no paint scratch.

+1 when possible...

Just a quick update: I bought the Yakima King Joe 2 and finally got around to using it today... it took a while to figure out how to attach it properly the first time. I also couldn't use the standard hooks on the trunk near the rear window since there was not enough room, so I had to use those glass rollers/hooks instead. It makes it a bit more cumbersome to attach, but not bad once you get a hang of it. It appears to be safe enough to not do any damage to the car's body which is good. Overall, it appears to be a solid product.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back