Cherry Bomb Exhaust? Is it a Joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching for custom exhaust shops in MD and came across this weird site with claims of horsepower increase. The device looks like a catalytic converter. I really can't see how this can help a car. However, the site looks really professions.

http://www.cherrybomb.com

Is this legit?

otherwise known as a "glass pack" due to being filled with fiberglass to decrease sound... Almost like a straight pipe, especially when the glass blows out.

Watch out for cops.

These kind of so called mufflers may not be code.

Not to mention the sound is great cop bait. Some cops have a pet peeve over loud exhausts and won't hesitate to ticket over it.

Had a hot 3 litre 6 with an 18" hot-dog. It was painful to be anywhere near it on heat (except the driver's seat, LOL).

A straight-through muffler will provide the best power and fuel economy, and the most noise. The Cherry Bomb Glasspacks are really loud and snappy. Highly obnoxious. They do make other mufflers though. I had a Cherry Bomb turbo on my '87 Grand Am, and it wasn't loud. Louder than stock, but not enough to stand out in any way. A buddy also had one on his '89 Corolla Coupe and it sounded great on that; normally quiet with a bit of a bark when you got the revs up. Dynomax makes a similar muffler (Super Turbo). If you actually want a straight-through muffler with much more noise insulation for a more reasonable sound, Dynomax also has the Ultra-Flo.

Originally Posted By: Marukai
I've been searching for custom exhaust shops in MD and came across this weird site with claims of horsepower increase. The device looks like a catalytic converter. I really can't see how this can help a car. However, the site looks really professions.

Is this legit?

It is legit, they have been around a long time. The horsepower claims is from having a freer flowing exhaust. As others have said the muffler is called a glass pack and there are a few different companies out there that make them.

They're originally designed for musclecars,and they dont really sound good on anything less than a 350 smallblock ,imho, the length of the exhaust system comes into play on this as well,some smaller cars might just sound 'wierd' with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rpn453
A straight-through muffler will provide the best power and fuel economy, and the most noise.

sorry, too general. some cars may actually return less mpg and/or power depending on a host of factors; some cars do better w/ some backpressure.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: Marukai

Is this legit?

It is legit, they have been around a long time. The horsepower claims is from having a freer flowing exhaust. As others have said the muffler is called a glass pack and there are a few different companies out there that make them.

This is hilarious! This should be a part of the Were you a child of 1930-79 thread. Glasspacks were the ORIGINAL high performance muffler. Back in the 40's and 50's the "Smitty" was the "thing". Cherry Bombs were popular in the 70's, I'm surprised they are still around, and even more surprised that people would think they are new.

I'm suprised Cherry Bombs have survived to today as well. Real popular going back to the 1970's/1980's....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm suprised Cherry Bombs have survived to today as well. Real popular going back to the 1970's/1980's....

Yep- when I was in school in rural Texas in the mid/late 70s, the big thing for your truck was "straights and 'packs." Dual straight exhaust pipes out under the rear bumper and glasspacks (or Thrushes or Cherrybombs- all the same concept) in place of the mufflers. The long straight tailpipe actually did make a difference in the sound- makes it "rappier" compared to, say, turn-downs at the axle.

I have a set on my 76 Chevy K10 350 that have been on there since I was in high school (32 now) and they still have most of the red paint still on them, in fact, the rest of the exhaust system is rusting out around them (as well as the truck). IIRC they were only $20 bucks a piece at Pep Boys

It's not a joke, I remember as a kid my uncle had one on his a car. The website says they've been around since 1968. You might want to verify if there are any restrictions on glasspacks in your area before you buy one.

As a replacement for a stock muffler, you can expect it to be loud, and get louder as it ages.
But they generally flow well, and better than most stock mufflers.
They used to be cheap.
If you get one, get it as big as will fit , for the best tone and sound level attenuation.

It's probably just my memory playing tricks on me, but as a kid growing up in the 1970's it seemed like every tenth car had a Cherry Bomb muffler sticker on one of the back side windows.

Many HP claims by these manufacturers are a bit generous, to say the least. Sure, opening up the muffler a bit can free up a LITTLE power, but come on..seriously, how much HP can you gain by replacing the muffler? The only noticeable HP increase I noticed on my Mustang was through replacing the factory midpipe (with 4 catalytic converters) with an aftermarket offroad pipe that has no cats. Buy a muffler for the sound if you want, but dont expect a noticeable power increase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Samilcar
It's probably just my memory playing tricks on me, but as a kid growing up in the 1970's it seemed like every tenth car had a Cherry Bomb muffler sticker on one of the back side windows.

or that woody woodpecker 'thrush' sticker, and that stupid rabbit 'hijacker' air shocks sticker. I still see idiots w/ that stuff, listening to led zeppelin and thinking life doesn't get any better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back