Sludge starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Honda Ridgeline that usually goes around 7,000 - 7,500 miles going by the olm. I was peeking down the fill cap with a flash light. I noticed some sludge starting to biuld up on top of the bolts that hold the rockers down, didnt see any more other than that. It only has 60,000 miles on it. Could this be from running dino for those long oci's, or could it be from running supertech dino all its life? Should I go with a synthetic or switch to a better quality dino?

I'm thinking a good synthetic like PP or PUltra or Mobil1 HM and Purolator Pure One for awhile.

Yeah i'd say 7500 on dino is long.

A good synthetic sounds good. Heck my mom's 08 accord is usually around 5500 on the olm.

Originally Posted By: cassidy
I noticed some sludge starting to biuld up on top of the bolts that hold the rockers down, didnt see any more other than that.

Are you sure that it is sludge? It may just be oil pooling on top of the bolts making it look dark. Is there a lot of varnish?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defektes
Why did you not go with a name brand conventional at least for such a long OCI.
Well, it has been beat into my head before I found this site that all oil is the same, but apparently not. I stuck my finger down the hole and was able to touch one of the rocker bolts, its definetly slimey gunk. The rest of the head that I can see is pretty gloden in color, so I think its pretty varnished up. I never have considered a synthetic before because when I bought the truck I talked to the service manager and he said he didnt recommend using synthetic or Honda would have said so in the manual.

Just switch to a name brand convetinal and it should be able to hold those OCIs. ST oil may be weak in the additive department where it starts to fail after so long. Or if you want to keep using that oil, do not exceed 5k miles IMO, many great UOAs on ST oil for 5k ocis.

Originally Posted By: dgee
i'd say MC5K or PYB for a 5K OCI if you want to stick with dino
Well, I want to go by the olm so maybe I will switch to a synthetic at the next oc. I am stuck on three brands, Valvoline Synpower, Mobil 1, or Penzoil Ultra. Which one shoul I go with?

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I noticed some sludge starting to biuld up on top of the bolts that hold the rockers down, didnt see any more other than that.

Are you sure that it is sludge? It may just be oil pooling on top of the bolts making it look dark. Is there a lot of varnish?

I'm going to have to concur with CharlieJ. A peek under a J35's valve cover will usually show dark oil pooled on the bolt heads.

Why did you not go with a name brand conventional at least for such a long OCI.
Well, it has been beat into my head before I found this site that all oil is the same, but apparently not. I stuck my finger down the hole and was able to touch one of the rocker bolts, its definetly slimey gunk. The rest of the head that I can see is pretty gloden in color, so I think its pretty varnished up. I never have considered a synthetic before because when I bought the truck I talked to the service manager and he said he didnt recommend using synthetic or Honda would have said so in the manual.

As long as it doesn't specifically say not to use a synthetic you're fine running any Syn brand in your engine. M1 and PP are my favs. Use a quality filter too

No reason to waste money on PU, go with the cheapest synthetic name brand you can get, even ST synthetic, or NAPA synthetic is fine for OLM use.

I know it is not the same motor, but I run the OLM on my 5.3 and grandfathers 5.3, they see sometimes 7+k ocis and all I use is name brand conventional,mainly valvoline and chevron, they are clean on the inside.

Just switch to a name brand convetinal and it should be able to hold those OCIs. ST oil may be weak in the additive department where it starts to fail after so long. Or if you want to keep using that oil, do not exceed 5k miles IMO, many great UOAs on ST oil for 5k ocis.
So as far as dino's, what would be the best for those oci's, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline? I would consider a synthetic if it is necassary when the olm stretches the oci out, but if a good dino will handle it, I'll stick with dino.

I like Chevron and Valvoline oils, it is what I use on my GM OLM cars that sometimes see 7k+ miles. But any name brand will work, just choose whatever is your favorite. I like Valvoline the most, always have used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back