Best Oil Filter Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't see how the little plug blocks all of the oil from draining back. There has to be a filter inlet on one side and outlet on the other side of the filter and this plug can't block the outlet. So what is preventing oil drainback through both the inlet and outlet? I don't see how the ecotec cartridge doesn't drainback. I like the setup though.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

[censored] that plastic shield!
lol.gif
One of the wingnuts that you're supposed to take off seized into place on the one I maintain. PB Blaster, Pliers and a rubber mallet still wouldn't break it loose. It eventually broke the plastic clip that holds it in place but still won't let me remove the shield from that side. Luckily one of the wingnuts still comes off so I can pull it down enough to get access to the filter.
grin2.gif

I remember the first few oil changes on the Malibu... I didn't know that plastic shield came off so I tried cramming the oil filter up between the frame and the engine thinking it was the most backwards setup I'd ever seen... until I realized you can remove that shield.
lol.gif
Made life a lot easier.
Glad my Dad and I weren't the only ones stumped by this.
33.gif
We did one or two changes that way until my Dad decided to see if taking that shield off would help matters. Night and day. I don't bother taking the wing nuts off, I just kind of slide the back of the shield out from the slots/pins that hold it in and let the front pivot down.

I tried doing the pulldown thing before because a mechanic suggested that to me, but I couldn't get the pins back in properly without really working them back in. I felt like the plastic shield was about to break. I'll have to try it again sometime.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't see how the ecotec cartridge doesn't drainback.

The "how" is a mystery to me as well.

But like others have stated, I have done the drain, then pulled the filter and it does release more oil down into the sump. So however it does it, that nipple somehow is holding oil in the cartridge for the next start up.

I've been searching online for a diagram or blow up the assembly and cant find one.

16459-oil-filter-location.jpg

Yes, thats a fram
frown.gif

The location is easy to get at, but you end up getting oil everywhere. Its also kinda hard to get a filter wrench on it, and you can only do like 1/8th turn at a time. (89 Cherokee 4.0l)
My girlfriends 96 Cherokee is a PITA, you have to worry about hitting the positive post on the starter with the filter wrench.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Defiance665
16459-oil-filter-location.jpg

My girlfriends 96 Cherokee is a PITA, you have to worry about hitting the positive post on the starter with the filter wrench.

How SHOCKING!!

my oil filter dumps like a 1/2 pint on top of the trans every time. I used to worry about it, now I'm like F it whatever.. screw you too oil filter. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back