Brad Penn 10w40 made my car feel sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else experience the same? This oil is 15.4 cst so I guess it is to be expected but I had been running redline 5w40 (15.1cst) for a long time and with that the turbo seemed to spool up faster than on the factory fill (which was a 30 weight).

There was an excellent UOA posted on Brad Penn 10w30 for the 2.0 FSI so I thought I'd try the 10w40. I'm thinking it is too thick and without the esters it is dragging the turbo.

On a positive note it did quiet the engine down compared to the last run I did which was a redline 5w30/10w40 mix.

B-P 'Penngrade 1' 10W-40 is a very thick oil, with a high HT/HS. Not a suprising find. I'd run it anyway, and maybe go to the 10W-30 next time - it still has a 3.54 HT/HS value.....

Kinda OT... but I think its odd that their motorcycle 10/40 that I've been using is a "thin" 40wt at 13.5 cSt..4.39 HT/HS and the car stuff is thicker. I'd have guessed it would be the other way around.

maybe a weather thing too, isnt it cold in Canada, just mite of had something to do with the cold to make a small difference on startup till the oil warmed up. U all live in a chest freezer and oil must surely get a work out. Are u using a synthetic and if not, why not??

Update: Just changed out the BP 10w40 for Redline 10W40 and there is a night and day difference in turbo spool up/responsiveness. Feels like a different car. Brad Penn 10w40 is a poor choice for the vw/audi 2.0 FSI IMO.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Were you running the 10w-40 street oil or Penn Grade 1 10w-40 race oil?

It says "Penn grade 1 high performance oil"

Penn Grade 1 is a mineral based racing oil. It's thick and shear resistant. Redline is a synthetic so I don't doubt you that it felt smoother on it. Penn Grade 1 is a hardcore high zinc and high phosphorous race oil. If the synthetic works for you then I'd say stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back