Is 5w30 ok when car requires 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've made up my mind about using 5w30 when the manufacturer recommands 5w20. I am deciding against it and not taking the risk on my 4 year warranty.

I beginning to feel the pain of paying $45cdn (35 for oil & $10 filter) + 15% (tax)

I follow the 8,000km OCI in order not to void my warranty.

The only reason I am using Mobil1 and Wix filter is because I want the best for my car but then again it's only a econ box (mazda3). I do drive it hard occasionally and I really want to keep my car for as long as possible.

Ahhhh I hate you guys for bringing me into yet another money spending hobby.
smile.gif
kidding

Go for it. My wife drives a 2004 Mazda MPV 3.0L DOHC from Ford. I use 5w30 Mobil 1 myself. Its easier to find and give the same protection. Woopy if you lose like .00000001 of a gallon on gas mileage. Warrenty issues no problem. The Mazda dealers here in Georgia since there are a few use 5w30 and even 10w30 in there stock barrels for their oil changes. Service manager says kinda hard to stock all the oil and with the climate 10w30 is used most often. I had my local dealer sign a letter that they though was stupid but anything for the customer right?, that says they would have no problem honoring warrenty issues if I use Mobil 1 or any oil in that matter of 10w30 or 5w30 grade. I even looked at the Japanese version of the MPV which is the same as the US version and it calls for 10w40 and thats for a 2004 and 2005 model.

I do 6month/6000miles on the current OCI with an Advance Auto filter (AA2). Vans got 13,000 miles on it now. Use it and be happy.

zimmerDN,

I also have a Mazda3 2.3 4-cyl. I believe that in the manual it states that 5w20 is RECOMMENDED, not required. Lots of people run 5w30 in that engine w/o any problems.

Personally, I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and so far I'm really liking it.

If you go scan some of the numerous other Honda forums, most of all the members are running a 5W-30. This is 6th and 7th generations. Running a 5W-20/30 will not hurt a thing. Now, if you go to say a 15W-50 or something thick like molasses, then I'd be concerned. I'm running 5W-30 M1 in both my 02 and 06 Accords, as well as my 5.4l F150 supercrew that calls for 5W-20. UOA's have been spectacular. Don't even worry about it.

Hey Goldenrod
Ya, our federal sales tax is 7% and our provincial sales tax is 8%. The added 15 % really adds up. We have to pay for our health care system in Canada somehow.

"Isnt it likely that "those folks that have no honor" are also likely not to go out on a limb and approve in writing a viscosity of oil which isnt listed in the manual?"

Of course. Then, after they refuse, run what they recommend. The receipts don't lie, they tell the tale. Something happens, ya need to have the receipts in order if you do your own OCI.

Again, they have no honor or decency. We all know it doesn't matter 20W vs. 30W, but it's a red flag to cheat the customer with come claim-time. They aren't called the stealership for nothing.

Why take a chance on them bestowing good will when they might someday be looking a $3000.00 warranty repair right in the eye? I'd not give them the ammunition. But that's just me.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
M1 5w-30 at 40cst is 64.8, 20 weight.

I apologize for not knowing this yet, but I'm a newbie - what's the significance/difference between the 40 and 100 cst readings? Is one more important to look at than the other?
I have a 2004 Accord I4 with 31k on the odometer. Honda recommends 5w-20, but I have a case of Superflo 5w-30 that I got for about $.60/quart @ PB after rebate. Looking at the viscosity charts, the Superflo seems to be a thicker 20 wt @ 40cst (62), and a firm 30 wt @ 100cst (10.5).
I'm assuming this 5w-30 would be ok to use then in my application. Without trying to incite a war, what are other opinions?

Shouldn't be a problem, just don't cross the border. Higher vis oil than specified is a misdemeanor per EPA regulations, errr, a least, that's what my-brother-in-law's-sister's-first-cousin's-grocer's-mailman's-wife's-dog-groomer's-parole-officer's-niece told me
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by desmonsm:
Looking at the viscosity charts, the Superflo seems to be a thicker 20 wt @ 40cst (62), and a firm 30 wt @ 100cst (10.5)

The second number in the SAE viscosity grade, e.g. Xw20, Xw30 you call 20 wt and 30 wt, is determined by the cSt at 100°C. The cSt at 40°C doesn't define anything but allows one to find the Viscosity Index.

http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm#SAE

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
If you go scan some of the numerous other Honda forums, most of all the members are running a 5W-30.

Which if they're using a dino 5w30, usually shears down to 5w20 anyways. Schmoe, you hang onto that 5w30 like a toddler does a security blanket.
wink.gif

Hmmm...maybe Mobil should come out with yet another Xw20 product called "5w30 Blankie", for those who just feel to insecure to use the recommended grade.
grin.gif

Isn't it true that a 5w20 generally has a better additive package than most other heavier weight oils?

quote:

Originally posted by xtrford:
Isn't it true that a 5w20 generally has a better additive package than most other heavier weight oils?

Not with the advent of GF4.

quote:

Originally posted by xtrford:

It's possible that the 5w20s use a better basestock to increase oxidation resistance and reduce volatility. But that may be an overgeneralization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back