All video clips (youtube, etc.) are playing choppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored]? what is going on. been happening for a few days now. I am running Firefox and have done all the updates. my typing is occasionally lagging too. ran a malware bytes scan and it came up clean, running AVG and spybot too...any ideas on what to do or check? this is getting ridiculous!

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and let the task manager come up. Go to the "processes" tab and click on the CPU column to sort the processes by usage percentage, greatest to least. Keeping that window open and visible, move around in windows and surf the internet a little bit, going to sites like BITOG that don't use much multimedia stuff. Note any processes that use more than 80% of the processor while doing this. Also, look at the bottom of the window for the "Commit Charge: X/Y" and see if the number X approaches the number Y. Now, navigate to youtube and play a few videos. Keep an eye on those CPU and commit numbers and see if any process uses more than 80% of the processor for the duration of the video. Take note of those processes.

The percentages should be able to tell us if you have some superfluous program eating up cpu cycles. Or if the newer versions of Adobe Flash and Firefox are less efficient than their predecessors. I suspect this is the case, however there could be other, more complicated causes. Of course, it could be that no process takes more than 80% of your CPU. That would be the ideal situation.

If the commit charge number X gets to be a value > ~75% of the value of Y then you need more ram. You don't necessarily have to buy more, but you should start looking for programs that are memory hogs. Usually these are the things found in the notification area (that is, next to the clock) like Realplayer, MSN Messenger and other non-essential software. Exit these and remove any additional toolbars from your browser (Google, MSN, Yahoo, E-Coupons... whatever else), then close and re-open Firefox. The commit ratio should be more acceptable and video play may be improved.

If the commit numbers are within an acceptable range and no process takes more than 80% of your CPU then we have to look at your video card. Perhaps it's driver is outdated or it lacks adequate power to play some of the higher resolution videos on youtube.

Let me know, maybe we can get this thing sorted.

I also have a problem with Youtube videos. They play ok when accessed from within my browser,(Opera), while in a forum such as bitog but won't play when directly accessing Youtube. I just get a generic error msg. Any ideas on what is going on?

alright, did what you said and nothing went over 57%. I just added 1 GB or ram now 2 total, a few months ago. The PC in question is a toshiba satellite running vista. it is 3 years old in August. typing is still lagging as I am writing this. most youtube vids played great just now. it is mostly the ones embbed(sp?) in a forum post that cause issues. ugh, I am getting PO'd at this typing lag.

Does your typing lag only in Firefox? I ask because Firefox's rendering engine is OS agnostic and as far as I know doesn't use much in the way of an OS's rendering libraries; and you (or an add-on) may very well have pooched something in your Firefox profile that has altered somehow how Firefox's rendering engine performs.

I've been shocked at how creating a blank profile in Firefox and starting over has sped it *right* the heck up.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Does your typing lag only in Firefox? I ask because Firefox's rendering engine is OS agnostic and as far as I know doesn't use much in the way of an OS's rendering libraries; and you (or an add-on) may very well have pooched something in your Firefox profile that has altered somehow how Firefox's rendering engine performs.

I've been shocked at how creating a blank profile in Firefox and starting over has sped it *right* the heck up.
yes, now how do I create a blank profile?

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
yes, now how do I create a blank profile?

Forgive me for "answering" your question with a URL; it's just been a while since I've buggered around with a Windows system: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows

What does "System Idle Process" for user SYSTEM mean? This is what is using more than 80% of my CPU most all of the time as I read this site. Perhaps this is a good sign meaning the system isn't needing to work hard?

When I open a youtube video in firefox, firefox jumps to the top and takes 85-95% of my CPU.

Does this mean my 750mhz CPU is not able to keep up?

Originally Posted By: Cressida
What does "System Idle Process" for user SYSTEM mean? This is what is using more than 80% of my CPU most all of the time as I read this site. Perhaps this is a good sign meaning the system isn't needing to work hard?

Yes, a high system idle process % is a good thing, unless something is running too slowly or stopped. Then it means the work isn't getting to the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back