? on Honda Accord 4cyl timing chain yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you guys no which years did Honda Accord 4cyl engines come with the timing chain rather than the belt. I no some had a chain in 2003 not sure if they all did or if it was just some. Also what is your opinion on this car with the chain vs the belt, as far as longevity and cost is concerned, a touch of extra noise is no problem.

The F22 and F23 (2.3 liters) ran from the early 90's until the 2002 year and had a belt. The K24 (2.4 liters) is from 2003 on and had a chain.

I've had both, I really like the K24 and would recommend spending a few thousand more for a 03+. The F23 was fun but the K24 has a lot more power between 2-4000 rpm, gets better mileage, you save a few hundred on the belt... etc.

Both engines are very durable, and sold in large numbers. You do hear the chain whine.

Engines are easier on the oil with a belt. Belt can cause oil foaming and tensioner stiocking and guide wear common. Chains on Asain cars have a lot of problems. The ford V8 has been pretty good. BMW 3.2 BAD, Mazda V6 BAD, Suzuki 4 and V6 BAD, Toyota OK. Honda ??.

considering that anything from the 90's through today have roughly the same $$$ emissions components, IMO youre not getting out of anything by running back to an older car, unless the style/design meets your likes better.

IMO youre better of with the latest technology and newer rubber parts given the costs to replace most things are roughly the same.

So Id go for newer. I'd be looking for the last year before they changed to this current body style, and for one with an MT.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
... Belt can cause oil foaming and tensioner stiocking and guide wear common.
I meant CHAIN. Not enough ASSAM Tea consumed yet
wink.gif

"Engines are easier on the oil with a belt. "

Well, that's a good theory, but in a comparison of these two engines specifically, the chained one has a longer OCI better UOA's on this website. Probably has more to do with the F series being 20+ years old, the K series was new in 01 on the CRV.

Personally, I'd rather change the oil more often than do the belt. On these it's a pain as an engine mount runs right through the loop of the belt, plus two balance shafts and a water pump. No thanks. But really, 7500 was a reasonable OCI on the old engine, the new 10,000 miles is doable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back