Toyota T-IV, 25,000 miles, 2006 Camry U250E trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: unDummy
Toyota has forced 5k oil changes but still, IMO, is neglecting ALL other fluids like ATF, PSF, gear oils.....

I personally don't care what they recommend. If you plan on keeping it, maintain it. Take the owners manual and throw it away.

The engine oil changes were shortened because Toyota lost a lot of money replacing sludged engines under warranty. Since the trannies don't fail under warranty, no incentive to shorten the service intervals. Long service intervals help sell cars (this is why we see timing chains again, step back technologically).

I agree with Hermann. Our '03 Tundra V-8 uses T-IV. I do a drain and refill every 15,000 miles. In addition, I added a Magnefine @5,000 miles and change it every other pan drain. The pickup now has 105,000 miles; fluid is still cherry-red and I don't plan to ever do a fluid exchange, nor to drop the pan. The A/W transmission shifts like new...but then, the A/W in our 14 year-old V-6 Camry (240,000 miles) shifts seamlessly...we've owned it since new. It uses Dexron, and I've used Mobil-1 ATF in it since about 90,000 miles, when I did a complete fluid transfer and now simply do pan drains at 25 to 30,000 miles. The fluid is pink with a very mild tan tint to it.
The Toyota A/W automtics are darn good transmissions and will almost all go well over a quarter million miles with no repairs, assuming you use good ATF (the Factory-recommended fluid), and a decent, common-sense maintenance schedule, or fluid change interval.

I will always use the "recommended" AT fluid, and in this case, T-IV. a "Suitable for" or all purpose or one-size-fits-all" listing is probably not the best choice . Always tough to argue when put on the defensive by the dealer/company for using a non-recommend AT fluid.

Why argue? Keep your foot out of your mouth and don't tell them.
Lack of common sense when visiting the dealer is foolish.

BTW, I don't need to use their filters, fluids, parts... for any maintenance. Magnuson-Moss, along with common sense, works!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Why argue? Keep your foot out of your mouth and don't tell them.

This is off topic, however, when I drained WS fluid lately, the fluid turned purple in direct sunlight. Possibly a tracer?

You are overthinking just a bit. The dye is most likely wearing out from heat and oxidation. WS is nothing special.

The best thing I ever did was [censored] can the T-IV in favor of some Redline D4. Shifts much better now. I avoid Toyota if at all possible. Going to the parts counter and dealing with the wanna be techs angers me beyond belief.!

we have an 05 corolla with 145k miles on her. we use the yota T4 on hers and just do a drain and fill every 15-20k miles. (once or twice a year) thats all our toyota shops do. they will NOT flush a toyota tranny. dunno why

I would go with a proven WINNER.. valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

The Valvoline MaxLife™ ATF Advantages:
Synthetic fluid
• Conditions transmission seals to prevent leaks
• Reduces varnish formation and wear
• Improves and maintains smooth shifting longer than conventional automatic transmission fluids
• Provides excellent flow properties at low temperatures and greater film protection at high temperatures
• Maximizes the life of higher mileage transmissions

Last edited:
I totally agree on the Redline d4 for the trans. Until 5-7 years ago, Redline wasn't recommended as a replacement for TIV I had to replace a Lexus transmission at 150,000 miles which I thought was way too early considering how I drove the car. Had been wanting to use Redline but hadn't because it wasn't approved. Fairly shortly after spending the $3500 on the new tranny, I found out Redline had just started recommending D4 for TIV. Go for the D4. My 2003 Acura MDX is now running D4 instead of Honda Z1 and it shifts better. The RL also has the GL4 gear protection which I think is helpful for avoiding wear long term.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
I totally agree on the Redline d4 for the trans. Until 5-7 years ago, Redline wasn't recommended as a replacement for TIV I had to replace a Lexus transmission at 150,000 miles which I thought was way too early considering how I drove the car. Had been wanting to use Redline but hadn't because it wasn't approved. Fairly shortly after spending the $3500 on the new tranny, I found out Redline had just started recommending D4 for TIV. Go for the D4. My 2003 Acura MDX is now running D4 instead of Honda Z1 and it shifts better. The RL also has the GL4 gear protection which I think is helpful for avoiding wear long term.

How well, and at what intervals did you maintain the Lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back