Put old oil in with the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I screwed up something a monkey could do.

I put 6.0 quarts in my 4.6 3v mustang today. I went to top it off just a little bit and managed to dump about a cup full of the old oil back in there. Grabbed the wrong container on the counter.

I'm assuming this isn't an issue but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Problem? The old oil was 6 months old and had about 3000 miles on it. Pennzoil Platinum 5w20.

Only thing I would be concerned about is how clean was the catch pan before you (Im guessing) put it back in the new container.
Its already been done though, but thats what the oil filter is for. Otherwise I'd say no issue. That length of service the platinum is almost new.

It will not hurt.

I do oil filter changes once a year but do 3 OCI's on my filter and there is always one quart of dirty oil not drained out.

Not sure how clean the catch pan was I wouldn't be real surprised if there wasn't at least some crud in there. As far as the particulates it probably wasn't anything real large or hard enough to cause damage.

Kind makes me mad to contaminate a fresh fill like that. OTOH 95% of the oil in there is fresh as is the filter. Hard to justify draining a whole new fill and wasting it because of this.

Guess I'll be more careful next time. lol

Last edited:
i read a funny story about someone using old M1 with 10k on it in another car and calling it mobil 2 haha...i think he went at least another 10k on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back