Pure One no longer regarded as good filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ike_Clanton
I installed a Fram Extended Guard on the Lincoln today. Did I do good or did I just send more money to our foreign overlords?

Extended guards are very good, and I believe made in USA or canada.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

You have seen that filter efficiency matters and probably the center core type you just don't want to accept it. There are studies that show the higher the efficiency in the 2-20 micron range the less engine wear and the longer the oil life. this is one reason there are high efficiency filters and bypass filters. How much difference would the P1's higher efficiency over a ST or Fram extra guard matter in reality is probably debatable. But a couple dollars per OCI seems worth it.

Millions and millions of engines going the distance and they are not doing the "extra couple of $$ per OCI".
21.gif

I've never done it. And taken plenty of engines well past 200k between myself, family and friends/co-workers who have bought my used vehicles.

They all have run fine, pass smog and have no issues. I don't know but most of those miles have been with Fram filters (I'd say our 394,000 mile Jetta saw Frams 99% of the time).

How much better could the engine have done? It passed dyno'd smog with flying colors, ran perfect, never had a single issue and sadly died with a excellent running engine.
frown.gif

How much better would have it done with a "couple dollars per OCI"?

Take care, bill

PS: And the Jetta is not the only high mileage vehicle I've dealt with. So its not just that VW makes a good motor (cause they did. Same with my Chevy truck, Toyota truck, Sisters Caravan and so on.

And how many cars are junked due to worn bearings? The ones that are mostly were abused by failing to change oil, letting it run low, etc.

Good question. Like I said Fram extra guard are actually a high efficiency filter. At least now 95% at 20 microns. I don't know what they were before but they probably were always at least OEM spec in efficiency. Maybe they rarely leak dirty oil past the media for normal OCIs. They are the same price as a Purolator Classic which I think have a better construction though.

Originally Posted By: labman
And how many cars are junked due to worn bearings? The ones that are mostly were abused by failing to change oil, letting it run low, etc.

And running a more expensive oil or filter will not replace maintenance. And most people here at BITOG (and the motoring public) get their vehicles maintained. (I should say most of us here over maintain.)

Sadly we hear (and see) some co-worker/friend/family member who abuses their engine to a point that makes us sick and they still go down the road for many many miles.
33.gif

So for me I feel (and have proved time and time again) that using some common sense and following the manual to a point will get you down the road just fine. As long as you want the engine to run most of the time.
19.gif

Take care, bill

I won't comment on other filters as plenty of cars have gone the distance with regular maintenance and whatever can they have on them, but PureOne is my choice for filters. Ordering 2-packs at Amazon brings the price down just enough for me to make it a no-brainer. I can get a 2 year supply for both of my cars priced at about $45, and it's delivered to my door free. Plus I can avoid the Fram conversations like this

Originally Posted By: jeepman
Plus I can avoid the Fram conversations like this

But that is the best part of running a superior oil filter
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Anyway it seems the Pure One filters are under attack in a thread, as being restrictive, poorly constructed, media rips, etc, etc. Just wondering what you guys think?

Post a link to the other thread.

PureONEs are not restrictive to flow - at least now now. Maybe they were in their earlier days and that stereotype has still carried on to today. Here is some test data from Purolator on a PL14006 (new yellow can), which is an average sized oil filter. I doubt too many filters can flow 12 GPM and only produce 5 PSID.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Plus there have been dozen of threads that address the PureONEs filtering efficiency, and some of those threads contain correspondence dialog between BITOG members and the Purolator Senior Engineer backing up their rated 99.9% @ 20 micron beta efficiency.

My theory is that anyone who doesn't see that Purolator filters are one of the best bangs for the buck are either ignorant of the facts or just plain biased because of other agendas.
wink.gif

What is your agenda?

What Agenda? He is showing he feels Pure One filters are a good value, he did a lot of research into it as well. If you read my thread opening post you'll see my reason for starting this thread.

Happy Easter Bitog Members, Enjoy the Day!!!

Love P1s except the puke-gold color on my motorcycles. I paint 'em flat black before using them. If I don't, you can see that sick color a hundred yards away.

Last edited:
Other forums speak negatively of the P1 based upon either:

1. Bad-mouthing their competition to improve sales.

2. Outdated 90's folk lore, courtesy of the guys who cut open filters and "tested" them by "eyeballing" the internal parts.

In contrast to these self-proclaimed "experts," BITOG has actual P1 flow data, river_rat's media testing, multiple UOAs, user comments based on recent examinations of new and used filters, etc.

The P1 filter is definitely a favorite on BITOG. Is it the ultimate filter? No, but in terms of cost vs. performance, it could be the greatest bargain in the history of oil filters. Yes, I say this in spite of the hideous textured yellow grip spray, which by comparison makes gargoyles look attractive.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T

2. Outdated 90's folk lore, courtesy of the guys who cut open filters and "tested" them by "eyeballing" the internal parts.

In contrast to these self-proclaimed "experts," BITOG has actual P1 flow data, river_rat's media testing, multiple UOAs, user comments based on recent examinations of new and used filters, etc.

The P1 filter is definitely a favorite on BITOG. Is it the ultimate filter? No, but in terms of cost vs. performance, it could be the greatest bargain in the history of oil filters. Yes, I say this in spite of the hideous textured yellow grip spray, which by comparison makes gargoyles look attractive.

Nicely put Bruce, I read those reports, and what was going on at the other site. Seemed to me it looked like #1 might have been what was going on there. Nothing is perfect, Purlator sells a lot of filters, as mentioned before % wise I think they have very little problems.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Nicely put Bruce, I read those reports, and what was going on at the other site. Seemed to me it looked like #1 might have been what was going on there. Nothing is perfect, Purlator sells a lot of filters, as mentioned before % wise I think they have very little problems.
01.gif

Never any of that here, right?

Originally Posted By: labman

Never any of that here, right?

Look at the post of the failed P1 recently, first post reads "Another great PureOne!"

What gets me about Labman is when a couple ecores had a huge chunk missing out of the media and presumably stuck somewhere in the engine, he tried to blame the motor oil. Then we see a little tearing on a P1's media at 1 or 2 pleats to end cap connection or the cap is broken with a large screwdriver, and he proclaims bonding failure. Labman is clearly biased because of P1's ownership.

Anyway I don't recall any other filter being scrutinize over each and every pleat connection that can hardly be seen. I think everyone when cutting open filters whether Fram, Wix, or ecore should take a close look at the end cap to pleat bond near the media seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back