Got chewed out in Advance today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this guy is so nuts about Fram what is he doing at Advance? That's the only place I can still find Purolator retail! Maybe he was an infiltrator from the Cult of the Orange Can doing recon for a raid. Keep an eye on that one.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
If this guy is so nuts about Fram what is he doing at Advance? That's the only place I can still find Purolator retail! Maybe he was an infiltrator from the Cult of the Orange Can doing recon for a raid. Keep an eye on that one.

Do you have a K-Mart around? They started carrying them again and they cost less than what AAP charges for them.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Do you have a K-Mart around? They started carrying them again and they cost less than what AAP charges for them.

Sears also has the Purolator oil filters. Slightly higher than K-Marts prices.

I still go to AAP a lot although I have quit buying Purolators. They do a nice job of honoring their warranties. I recently got a muffler and they are promising an alternator by Monday night.

They are lucky it was Firestone that sold me a life time battery about 30 years ago.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Really? The last one I went to had no oil nor filters. Maybe it's because it was part of a mall and they only carry that in standalone locations?

You met a religious Fram fundamentalist at AA. Look out !! They'll be knockin' on your door soon, with lots of handouts.

If this guy is so nuts about Fram what is he doing at Advance? That's the only place I can still find Purolator retail!
That was my thought too....surely if he liked FRAM/Honeywell so much, he could find them cheaper at Walmart than an auto parts store....? Then again, perhaps he is one of those "loyal" auto parts store shoppers, who only buys auto parts at the auto parts store, meat at the meat market/butcher, produce at a farmer's market, etc....(any other additions?) :)

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Really? The last one I went to had no oil nor filters. Maybe it's because it was part of a mall and they only carry that in standalone locations?

The Sears stores that have an automotive service center should stock the Purolator filters.

I used Fram TG-2 on my past two Fords a 2005 F-150 4.6L and a 2007 Ford F-150, both bought new. At around 58,000 to 60,000 miles both trucks started to smoke on start up. I was using Motorcraft semi -synthetic and TG-2 filters with oci of 5000 miles. Is that normal for them to smoke on start-up?

If this guy is so nuts about Fram what is he doing at Advance? That's the only place I can still find Purolator retail!

I just started ordering mine from Amazon in 2 packs. Cheaper than any local brick and mortar and they offer free shipping over $25 on them. Ordered 2 years worth of PureOnes for both cars myself, but they have the Classic's in 2 packs also.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
I think what is even stranger is that you stand around talking to strangers about how much Fram allegedly sucks.

LOL!! Exactly!!

When in WM I've been tempted in the past to dissuade someone reaching for the dreaded orange can, but after what I've seen on BITOG recently I now think it is probably a better choice at the low end than the ST Ecores. At least there is a sturdy metal center tube to keep any media blow outs from destroying your engine. Plus, Fram does publish information on efficiency ratings, construction, and rates its various filters for various uses. In other words, the orange can is good for normal mfg. OCIs, while you should spend more and get the Extended Guard for long OCIs. I appreciate that. I personally think there are better buys in filters, but I wouldn't hesitate to run an Extended Guard if I needed to get something from WalMart. If I needed a cheaper filter at WM I'd look at Motorcrafts if there was one in my size.

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
I used Fram TG-2 on my past two Fords a 2005 F-150 4.6L and a 2007 Ford F-150, both bought new. At around 58,000 to 60,000 miles both trucks started to smoke on start up. I was using Motorcraft semi -synthetic and TG-2 filters with oci of 5000 miles. Is that normal for them to smoke on start-up?

No it is not normal for them to smoke on start up with that low of miles and years. It's hard to blame the filter but you used good oil and frequent OCI. It could very well be the engines were not up to par, maybe in the valveguide clearance or valve stem seals or something other reason.

But that's just the thing you cannot really rule out the filter. We hear stories of people claiming to go 300K miles using Fram filters, but I've heard more stories of people going less than 100k miles and their engines burned higher than average oil. I never used Fram filters and I've never had an engine burn oil.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I made a 20 mile trip back home from a meeting last evening and passed 22 cars, assorted makes, every one had a Fram filter laying dead on the ground under the general location of the engine.

It gave me a whole new meaning to the phrase of , orange can of death.

This sounds almost believable

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
LOL see what happens when you use Fram..

This whole thread is a show and tell of what happens when internet peer pressure gets to people.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: silverrat
I think what is even stranger is that you stand around talking to strangers about how much Fram allegedly sucks.

LOL!! Exactly!!

I preemptively qualify all filter discussions with, "Now I know that this may appear like a study in the finer aspects and nuances of coin flipping ..but..". That kinda keeps a lid on the discussion to about knee level.

It seems to me like auto parts stores and Walmart attract their fair share of mentally unstable individuals. I try not to look anybody in the eye and exit the store as quickly as possible (only half joking).

LOL I know what you mean but I think they just look that way and are usually nice if you offer them some advice.

I try not to start conversations about anything with strangers at the auto parts store. However, when you have a dog with you, you get into many conversations. Last night when I was picking up my alternator a young guy commented ''I see you are still training dogs'' He added , the last time I saw you, you had a brown Lab. I had no clue who he was and mentioned 2 years ago and the year before that. He said it was a lot longer ago than that. Turns out, he was talking about the mid 90's when he was a little kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back