Looking at the perfect gun for conceal carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent choice.
01.gif

I like the 638 but you can't go wrong with a 642/442.

The best thing is go to a range that rents weapons and shoot them. Try some .38 SP +P (they are a handful in the J frame) and make sure it works for you..

Be SAFE, bill

+1 on the +P, be sure it won't surprise you or break your gun.

I'm not a revolver man myself, but I find it very easy to put my Rossi/Taurus 4" .38SPL in the glovebox and know it will go boom when grabbed in a hurry.

I absolutly live and breathe guns and think everyone should own and know how to use a gun that they feel comfortable with. Not to try to discourage you on a revolver or a auto pistol but I learned the hard way that as far as a home-invasion type situation goes, nothing comes close to a 12 or 20 gauge short-barreled(legal)shotgun filled with birdshot.#8 or #9 shot worked extremely well at encouraging an idiot to go elsewhere. It's also safe as far as not penetrating interior walls and hitting someone in another room. You also would not kill the guy(if that would bother you)but you would render him totally unmotivated to pursue his life of crime further at least for a while. That being said,if you still think a revolver is what you need, consider the Ruger LCR. All my Rugers are built like tanks and are made in the USA.

The model 60 chambered for .357 is a nice setup. Wife carries 60-6 2-1/8" barrel. Stuffed with silver tip 38's. Controllable recoil, but be ready for a punch with +P and 357's. Standard pressure 38's are very controllable. I picked the .357 model for her as it is beefed up over the .38 cal.

Me, I carry a PPK when I need conceal. In the glove box, SW 4506 (used to be my duty weapon), when I left, the agency let me buy it for a reasonable price and they were going to Sig Sauer 226's.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
FWIW I am considering the Ruger SP101 for the same purpose as the OP.

Another good gun (I like mine) but for carry all day long (esp in the warm months) it gets HEAVY.

The J frames weigh 17 oz loaded! The Ruger LCP is smaller and lighter but .380 ACP. 6+1 for it. In a good holster inside the waistband it disappears. Both the J frame and LCP make excellent pocket guns too.

If its too big or heavy, you leave it home. If you carry only here and there, the heavier weapons are okay for a few hours.

Originally Posted By: pondfishr
What do you all think about the H&K P2000 as a good gun to start out with?
Like I said above, find a range and rent one. Personally there are better weapons for the 1st one IMO.

Be SAFE! Bill

I have a 686+ in 2.5" and I'd have back problems if I carried that gun for very long on my back. However, I have carried it on a belt holster and under the arm for long periods of time without an issue.

I have a law enforcement friend that always carried a 5 shot S&W J frame on his ankle. He claims it wasn't too bad, but if needed to run or walk for long distances he told me he "knew it was there."

I personally love the new Walther PPS, but used to carry a Walther made (new ones are made by S&W) PPKS.

For the untrained a revolver is a good choice. Light, effective, durable, and less prone to malfunction from neglect.

For the 'low probability' user a "J" frame fits the bill nicely. There are plenty to choose from, the 638,442/642 etc, are the top contenders. You've got to fit to YOUR lifestyle & use.

Ok guys, Wow! I didn't know that revolvers were more expensive than pistols. I wanted one for their simple design and ease of cleaning.

I looked at the Ruger LCP and it fits perfectly in my hands and it is extremely small and compact. They recommended me the Bersa(PPK-type gun) but it was made in Argentina.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
FWIW I am considering the Ruger SP101 for the same purpose as the OP.

IMHO, this is almost the perfect concealed carry revolver.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: Popinski
I was thinking the Smith and Wesson J-Frames. I don't want any big calibers and I want something small. It needs to be Made in the USA and I prefer revolvers (easy to clean and less moving parts).

This my personal concealed carry choice:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Rpg-7.jpg

But then again I am a really big guy.

You must hide that in your pants?
lol.gif

I'm 6ft 6 and weigh too much (over 300lbs) and that would be a "little" too much to carry for me!

Maybe my bigger brother could!

Bill

One of my carry guns is a Smith & Wesson PD360 scandium frame .357 snubnose. I love it. It weighs under 12oz and you hardly know its on you. Price is high, but worth it. Shooting some .357's in it are brutal so that is one negative.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I was thinking the Smith and Wesson J-Frames. I don't want any big calibers and I want something small. It needs to be Made in the USA and I prefer revolvers (easy to clean and less moving parts).

For those who don't know, it's in relation with this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1843957&page=1

I love the Smith J frame, it's a great little revolver.

If you are looking for something a little less expensive, i can recommend the Kel Tec P11. I carry one every day. It is light(21 OZ with a full magazine)small and easily concealed, and reasonably priced. I got mine for under $250. It is a 9mm, and holds 10+1 rounds.
I have run over 1,000 rounds through mine and had exactly one FTE on my first magazine. Otherwise reliable and relatively accurate. It is made in Florida.
P11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back