Oil Consumption During Break-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 2010 Altima V6 in my signature, I have 700 miles on the car now and the dipstick shows 1/3 qt low.

For the first 600 miles, a lot of highway driving was done but the speeds were varied and so were the RPMs (as much as a CVT will allow).

After 600 miles, I have been doing some rather spirited driving (heavy throttle application, some WOT) to try and better seat the rings. This was mainly because the oil level was already down at the 600 mile mark, so I was trying to see if I could lessen the oil consumption.

So, from your past experiences, is it normal for oil consumption to be higher during engine break-in?

Thanks.

You may see some. In my 2007 Frontier with the VQ40, I really saw only a very small amount burned in the first 1200 miles. I then drained and switched to Mobil 1 with a NAPA Gold filter. I have seen no oil burning since, even with 5000 mile oil changes (done at that mileage due to warranty).

I think your amount is well within normal parameters an you should see it decrease with time.

Last edited:
Quote:
This was mainly because the oil level was already down at the 600 mile mark, so I was trying to see if I could lessen the oil consumption.

Nope, Critic. I ain't buying it. You were doing it to see if you would experience MORE consumption. C'mon ..fess up. You figured if you didn't see any more consumption that you didn't screw something up.

Come clean. You'll feel better
frown.gif
(try and remember the last authority figure that told you that as he lied through his teeth spouting some nonsense about it being in your best interests
grin2.gif
)

While Ive certainly seen comments indicating usage, it is not something that Ive observed across a bunch of new vehicles we have owned. Some do, some dont I guess.

It's not something I've noticed. However, to be honest I don't remember monitoring the oil consumption on new vehicles for the first 2k, at which point I dump the FF.

Highway driving on a new engine/rings might cause extra consumption. I bet it slows down over the next few K.

I'd ask on a nissan forum, to see if other altima owners have experienced this. I can already tell you I wouldn't classify it as a break in specific problem, as many cars consume zero oil during break in. It could possibly be a nissan or altima specific problem though, consumption during or even after break in.

I don't have much experience with new cars, my mazda is the first car I bought brand new, but I took the OCI for full 5k miles and I was monitoring the level on regular basis, I did not see any noticeable drop.

However, most of my break in was city driving, most highway trips were about 10 miles long or less, like you I did not do any WOT runs for about first 600 miles, and stayed below 3.5k rpms, after that I did few WOT runs but I don't think I took the car to red line. Also, since I have the manual mode that holds gears, I tried to do progressive runs in 2nd gear to about 6k rpm and engine brake back to 3k, I did that few times. I'm not sure if it actually did anything, but so far I have no oil consumption at all.

Last edited:
We have a 2010 2.5 and didnt have much oil consumption when we bought it. I think we were down 1/3 to 1/2 qt. when I did the first oil change at 3750 miles. Maybe have 1000 miles on this OC and dont think its down at all.

That does seem a little high but I think it would be best to give it some more time to tell, I bet it will clear up.

Haven't you had that car for a few months? Time to get some miles on it
33.gif
19.gif

I've never owned a new car that did not use some oil during break in and I've had quite a few.

1/3 qt. is nothing. I wouldn't worry a bit. How can you tell it was 1/3 qt.? Did you add that much to bring it to the top line? My manuals state "not to add" if it's in the "OK" zone.

I have always drained the factory fill ~1K.
I noticed no consumption in that interval with the last four cars we bought new.
However, not to worry.
The Nissan should wear in nicely.

Some cars use oil during break in.
Many new ones do not, to any appreciable degree. Things are put together tighter nowadays.

But oil use during this time is normal. It varies as to how much.
Usually your owner's' manual will warn about this so nobody panics.

My experience is that if if uses a LOT of oil during break in , it will continue to use some when broken in.

The last 2 vehicles I bought did not consume oil during break in, both had oil changes after 1600KMS too. The first new car i bought, 2001 Saturn SL, did use about 200mls during the first oil change, and nary a drop after that.

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
We have a 2010 2.5 and didnt have much oil consumption when we bought it. I think we were down 1/3 to 1/2 qt. when I did the first oil change at 3750 miles. Maybe have 1000 miles on this OC and dont think its down at all.

That does seem a little high but I think it would be best to give it some more time to tell, I bet it will clear up.

Haven't you had that car for a few months? Time to get some miles on it
33.gif
19.gif

Mom's driving it everyday now, so it should have 5k on it by July.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
What are your parents driving while you are flogging their new car ?

The Saturn.

Have you done an expert brake job on it? That should be a good indication of your flogging prowess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back