FP-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished cleaning 3 guns and can I just say this stuff is amazing?! Its not the first time I've used it either. I just love it. I think I might start wearing it as a cologne. It has to be an aphrodisiac! For anyone that has not yet had the opportunity to try FP-10, get some!

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with the product. Just a very satisfied user.

I have used FP-10 and was unimpressed to say the least. It's cleaning ability is non existant. Breakfree CLP is better in every way except maybe the smell.

FP-10 is heavier and better for lube, Breakfree is lighter and better for cleaning even though they make the same claim. Yes, I've used both, going back and forth trying to decide which is better.

I normally clean with Hoppes #9, wipe dry then oil pretty well all over being sure to hit any contact points then do my best to wipe all the oil off. The guns are pretty much dry with only a small film left that did not wipe off.

The problem I have with some of these so called super lubes is that they contain chlorinated hydrocarbons. Stuff like that is probably not too good for you. I would prefer for the gun to wear out before I get cancer.

Anymore I like Hoppes #9 for cleaning gun barrels if I am able to clean outside (not too cold, not raining or snowing, not too much dust). I don't mind the smell of Hoppes #9 outside of the house but I don't like to stink up the house with it inside.

Breakfree seems to be a good enough cleaner and lube for guns. I will use just Breakfree if I have to clean indoors.

I sold my Sig Sauer. That gun, for whatever reason, did not take to Breakfree. My Glock 40 loved Breakfree. And Breakfree seems to work really well on my Smith & Wesson 9 mm Military & Police.

I think FP-10 is a good product too for cleaning pistols and such. On the other hand it's a little thinner oil than Breakfree which is just as good and what I usually use.

Generally not the same product but it does the same thing as a cleaner. In the same catagory as Breakfree.

No issues using either one as long as it's in a big spray bottle.

Durango

Quote:
Stuff like that is probably not too good for you. I would prefer for the gun to wear out before I get cancer.

The ones with higher C numbers are not considered carcinogenic.

I can look up data about the chloro hydrocarbons at work (I'm a toxicologist by trade).. if you can give me more specific information? Molecular structure would be nice?

Brad

Yep, some carco risk, regular handlers of firearms would likely be exposed (dermal, inhalation). But, the dose makes the poison (toxicology motto) and I suspect exposure would be relatively low unless you snort, drink or bathe in the product.

Guess I'd Grok around the risk to benefit question. If the chloro compound was the magic that made my gun run better and my life depended on that gun regularly (soldier, LEO, et al.), I'd be okay with a small increase in cancer risk.

Since I'm just a CCW civilian and there are likely plenty of compounds under the tribology tree that are relatively less toxic, I think I'll avoid them.

Brad

Quote:
exposure to long chain chlorinated paraffins at normal background levels is unlikely to have any adverse effect on human health.

From the link. Did you get your information from somewhere else?

One of the Lubricant Engineers here has told me that long chain products do not carry a handling warning unlike the shorter chain versions.

I was taught that everything is toxic at a high enough dose.

...but yes, these guys (LCCP's) look relatively safe. Some animal data, human data generally lacking. Like I said, as long as you don't bathe in the stuff. :)

Brad

ps: I just looked at short chain chlorinated paraffins and agree that the short chain little guys are the nastier ones to avoid. Classified as possible human carcinogen, with sufficient animal data to certainly warrant caution with their use. Sorry I was not more clear!

Last edited:
... speaking of Breakfree, could someone decipher this for a non-chemist?

From MSDS:
Polyalphaolefin oil, 40-60% CAS# 68037-01-4
Synthetic rust inhibitors, esters & lubrication additives, 15-25% CAS# Proprietary
2 Ethylhexyl Acetate, 10-20% CAS# 103-09-3
Dibasic Ester #1, 3-8% CAS# Proprietary
Petroleum distillates, Hydrotreated, 1-5% CAS# 64742-48-9
Carbon Dioxide propellant,
Is is the petroleum component that some folks don't like very much, or are there simply better performers from an empirical perspective?

Usually the oil itself is not the hazardous component. It's the additives, mostly metallics (zinc, antimony, etc.), that can have the problems. Even those aren't much a problem unless injested or you bath in the stuff for years on end.

Of course solvents as well.

BF works or the military wouldn't use it, but I think there is better out there.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I sold my Sig Sauer. That gun, for whatever reason, did not take to Breakfree. My Glock 40 loved Breakfree. And Breakfree seems to work really well on my Smith & Wesson 9 mm Military & Police.

My sig 229 was very lube sensitive. The gun caouldn't make it through a box of ammo on remoil but could handle 500 rounds lubed with breakfree.

I have found with sigs that they like to slathered in oil. Not a good trait IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back