Cummins N14 oil report

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Case 9370 tractor with a Cummins N14 we bought about a year ago. Its rated at about 370 horse. Still had the oil in it that the previous owner used so I'm not real sure what it was. I thought it would have been Case IH #1 15w-40 but the lab said the additive numbers did not seem consistant for that type of oil. 2431 hours on the tractor and 296 hours on the oil. Just started using Polaris Labs and the first report I've gotten back from them.

Iron 26
Aluminum 1
Copper 2
Lead 5
Tin 1
Silicon 4
Sodium 5
Molybdenum 13
Boron 48
Magnesium 117
Calcium 2490
Phosphurous 1000
Zinc 1186
Fuel .6%
Soot .4%
Vis. 100C CS 13.9
TBN 5.94
Oxidation 11
Nitration 14

Last edited:
wow nice report. 296 hours, that's a lot. If your engine was in a truck rather than a tractor and you averaged 60 mph, that would be 17760 miles.

Try 350 hours next time?

Given the long duration of use, I'd say that's really nice wear! The TBN is very strong too.

Curious as to how many months elasped for that 300 hours of use?

Last edited:
The guy we bought the tractor from gave us the most recent maintenance records and he had just 20-30 hours on his most recent change. We picked the tractor up in March of last year so I'm guessing he had changed the oil the previous fall before he put it away. So the oil had probably been in the engine for 16 or 17 months. We've been using this tractor mostly on our tile plow and we haven't really used it on any other tillage equipment that gives it too much of a challenge so it's not worked especially hard. I'm thinking of going for at least 400 hours for the next oil change. We this self-propelled Hagie sprayer with a naturally aspirated Cummins 5.9L that is just shy of 300 hours and 3 years on it's current oil change. I'll probably take a sample and post that one too.

Good info.

Goes to show that the " ... or one year" mantra of OCIs is often bogus. Oil has no idea how long it has been in the crankcase. It only knows if it's depleted or not; only can tell you if it's OK for continued use via UOA.

Oil can go bad very quickly in equipment that is poorly maintained and not in good condition (fuel, coolant, dirt ingestion, etc). Or, oil can last for several years in equipment that is well cared for, runs well, and runs for long intervals when used at full temp. Until the add-pack actually falls out of suspension from ripe old age, chronology means little to oil.

OCIs based upon mileage or the calendar are IN LIEU of UOAs. They are a good fall back position when the condition of the oil is not known. But if you're into UOAs, and develop good evidence of satisfactory performance with known consistent inputs and use, there is no reason to OCI until the UOA says to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the data, sdan!

How do you guys like this:

95' Case IH 7220 - 3250 total eng. hrs. - 535 hrs. and 40 month on the oil. The toilet paper blotter test shows me relatively clean oil. Fuel dilution and/or acidity are likely to be the limiting factors.

Despite common beliefs, it seems some diesels can go a very long time on an engine oil change. We have a CNH 4.5L engine in our telehandler that I sent a sample into Blackstone after 510 hours and they recommended 750 hours for the next OCI. That's with generic $7 a gallon oil too.

Nice report the N14 is a great engine,we have one in one of our Volvo trucks turned up to 525hp runs great never any issues pulls like a [censored] fright train.

what oil filter?

We use Fleetguard products on everything we can so on this application we use the LF9009. We have an L10 and an 8.3L that take the 9009 as well.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
How long of OCIs do you do on your Volvos?

We usally do 1 year intervals on our trucks witch comes out to 3-400 hrs.

we don't do allot of over the road,local agriculture runs these trucks see lots of idle time and heavy loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back