2010 Nissan Sentra, 2 liter, oil recomendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 1500 miles on the original oil and am planning a trip for this weekend. It will be a total of about 1500 miles, from NJ to Kentucky, and return. The owners manual says to use 5w-30 SM oil, and after reading some good things about the GC 0w-30, I was considering it for this and future oil changes. What do you recommend? Should I change the oil before or after the trip and which oil should be good for this engine? Thanks.

Change it now, its break-in oil and it will look like silver paint when you drain it. Do you want that circulating in your new engine?

Just use a good 5w-30 synthetic oil and don't worry about trying to find GC 0w-30. Pennzoil Platinum is my horse.

Last edited:
Engine calls for SM, GF-4 5W-30 oil. Don't use GC - it's a non-GF-4, SL-rated 30-weight - not the oil you want.

My father just purchased a Sentra 2.0, fantastic car for the money! Small cars have come a long way that's for sure. We are planning to use Amsoil XL with a Nissan filter for the first few changes at the Nissan Severe service interval.

The manual makes no mention of break-in intervals or the like.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Change it now, its break-in oil and it will look like silver paint when you drain it. Do you want that circulating in your new engine?

Just use a good 5w-30 synthetic oil and don't worry about trying to find GC 0w-30. Pennzoil Platinum is my horse.

I do not know of a single manufacturer that uses " break in oil " any longer

anyone KNOW different ?

I bought Pure One filters from Amazon for $9.48 for 2. They still have them at that price. Enter pureone oil filter in their search box.
Thank for the quick replies.

Originally Posted By: badnews
Originally Posted By: Zedhed

anyone KNOW different ?

Some people say Honda does. I don't own one so I'm not sure. The concensus here is they do use some high moly break in oil and the OM advises against changing the factory fill early.

Ashland, to visit my daughter and her new husband. Near Huntington, West Va. Maybe I can get some cooking lessons from Jamie Oliver and be on his new TV show.

Originally Posted By: badnews

anyone KNOW different ?

Honda does and advises against changing the factory fill early. For S2000, they advise against changing to synthetic oil until after 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: musket3
Ashland, to visit my daughter and her new husband. Near Huntington, West Va. Maybe I can get some cooking lessons from Jamie Oliver and be on his new TV show.
Then I would use a conventional oil from Ashland
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back