Amsoil vs Mobil 1 vs Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a direct answer after searching the forums. Is there a real difference between Amsoil, Mobil 1, and Rotella. They all seem to have there niche but is there a place where one is better than the other?

Originally Posted By: tig1
All three will lube an engine for 200-400K with 10K OCIs IMO. Also keep it very clean.

Nicely Put Tig!!

Originally Posted By: pondfishr
I am sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a direct answer after searching the forums. Is there a real difference between Amsoil, Mobil 1, and Rotella. They all seem to have there niche but is there a place where one is better than the other?
U can experiment on all three, run each one 5k each and make notes on gas mileage and see what u get, its the only way and send in a UOA on each for a complete test

I would say this:

Amsoil: Great long OCI Oil (High TBN)

Mobil 1: Great everyday Syn Oil

Rotella T: Great heavier weight Syn oil with most Zddp Protection and great cleaning ability.(This would give good protection for turbo's and older cars.)

Depends what your goal is. All these are great oils.

Last edited:
IMO no....there is no real difference that would matter and effect any thing drastically,all three are good oils and will get the job done.

Mobil and Rotella are great because there OTC at WM and priced very reasonable

All three will lube an engine for 200-400K with 10K OCIs IMO. Also keep it very clean.

Glad we are not making general statements that are not true.

I'd not be basing my rep on giving factual info with that one...

PLEASE STOP giving out blanket "advice" that may get someone's engine in danger.

This web site was based on factual info. I guess that does not mean anything anymore...

Originally Posted By: pondfishr
Is there a real difference between Amsoil, Mobil 1, and Rotella. They all seem to have there niche but is there a place where one is better than the other?

Sure there is a difference. Several of them, actually. Price, base stocks, additives, marketing, etc.

The real question is probably more accurately put this way:
Is there a reasonable difference, given my personal operational and maintenance plans, to make the cost difference worth while?

Only you can answer that.

You really should be a bit more descriptive when calling out partiuclar products. "Rotella" is a brand line now marketing dino, semi, and full syns. Mobil 1 is a brand line as well, and while it does encompass the TDT, many also consider the Delvac 1 to be more of the specific HDEO (although they are very similar). Amsoil has many good products in their line up.

All these products do a fine job, when you use them with their benefits and limitations in mind. There is no one perfect oil for all conditions. There are "better" choices for given situations.

When you lay out such a general question, we tend to make general answers. But if you want a specific recommendation(s), you need to be much more detailed in your questions. We would want to know about your:
opearational environment
operational severity
maintenance plans
cost threshhold
ease of availability of product
vehicle modifications
etc.

Help us help you ...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

PLEASE STOP giving out blanket "advice" that may get someone's engine in danger.

This web site was based on factual info. I guess that does not mean anything anymore...

You don't own BITOG Billy so until you do I will be sure to avoid your advise.

You don't own BITOG Billy so until you do I will be sure to avoid your advise.

Oh trust me, your "advise" is very dangerous.

To answer your question here is what I maintain today.

Chevrolet 1994 z71 350, tbi spacer, cold air, Flowmaster Exhaust, 180k, runs great does not smoke. The truck does not use any oil unless heavy prolonged towing, then only about a quart between oil changes. I started out with Havoline 10w-30 and have been using Valvoline 10w-30 High Mileage for the last 40k miles.

Lexus 1997 LS400, stock V8 (1UZFE) 213k runs great. Drives as good or better than many new cars. I have been using Mobil 1 Synth High Mileage since 138k. Does not use any oil.

Infinity 2000 I30 V6 230k. Runs good uses a little oil between oil changes. Valvoline High Mileage 10w-30

Bobcat Skidsteer V1702 Unknown hours but around 350 hours since I bought it 5 years ago. Runs great. Been using Lucas 15w-40 TBN Truck Oil for 2 years before that Bobcat brand 10w-30. I don't use the machine everyday. It is mostly used around my house 1-2 times a month and for small jobs 2-3 times a year.

Dixie Chopper Mower, Generace 27HP, Been using Lucas 15w-40 TBN. That is what Dixie Chopper recommends. I do realize that a few of you aren't big Lucas fans. I bought a bunch of it from Summit and still have 4 gallons left.

Pressure washer new (Honda Power) and Push Mower(Honda Power) and Husqvarna chain saw and leaf blower. Red Max string trimmer, Shindaiwa Hedge Trimmer.

Polaris 2006 Sportsman 500. 75 hours been using Polaris products for regular scheduled maintenance.

I own things with lots of miles or hours and they are still working. I am fascinated by following maintenance routines how long you can make equipment and vehicles last. I was curious as to the general consensus here for which brand is better. I have a guy quoting me Amsoil but I am not familiar with it enough to know if the the extra price is worth it. Of course price is an issue but i don't mind paying for quality if the return makes sense.

What if I put a rebuilt engine in the truck? What would be the best bet for a new oil viscosity and brand?

I agree they probably are all good products but what really is the difference? Brand and that is all?

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
o my,,,now now guys,,,,its oil, but what kind of auto or truck are u going to run these oils.

No its someone's ENGINE. Making blanket statements does no one any good except the oil company.
20.gif

Thank you for ASKING what vehicle the OP is going to be using the product in.

Wish others would...
smirk2.gif

pondfisher - that's quite a varied list of equipment!

By far and away the most important thing to making equipment last is not the choice of lube, but the committment to a solid maintenance routine. Those must go hand-in-hand. Your lube choice should subsequent to your maintneance plan, not predate it.

If you are going to follow the OEM maintenance schedules, there is little reason to think that some type of magic life extension is going to happen by spending huge money on premium synthetics. They certainly are capable products, but that is also true of today's dino oils. Stick with the OEM plan, and you really don't need synthetics of any nature.

If you intend to extend your OCIs, then synthetics are a good choice.

Are you shopping for a specific single product, or a product line? In other words, are you looking for one brand/grade for all your stuff, or just a product line to be loyal to?

I'll offer some very generic advice here and say that perhaps the Rotella 10w-30 semi-syn (now available at Wally World) is a fairly price-effective product, and the grade would have a very wide range of reasonable application on "normal" or "near normal" OCIs. But that is presuming you seek one brand/grade for all the stuff. If you want to be more specific, then you'll have to tailor your choices to each piece of equipment.

The key is that there is no one perfect oil for all things. You are either going to have to compromise and have convenience, or be specific and have multiple products. Again, the lube selection should be subordinate to your maintenance plan, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
o my,,,now now guys,,,,its oil, but what kind of auto or truck are u going to run these oils.

No its someone's ENGINE. Making blanket statements does no one any good except the oil company.
20.gif

Thank you for ASKING what vehicle the OP is going to be using the product in.

Wish others would...
smirk2.gif

Off on another tangent!! My statement was very generic. Everybody seems to know that except you.

Last edited:

Off on another tangent!! My statement was very generic. Everybody seems to know that except you.

Then STOP with the blanket 10k OCI [censored]...

And no not everyone but me seems to know it. Trust me (which you would not. But what would I know... It's not like I've been here 8+ years and you a year... )

Originally Posted By: daman
I didnt see a problem with it?
21.gif

Some of us care about what is typed here and how it reflects BITOG.

Some don't.

At least you don't spew the one OCI fits all.. And thank you for that!

Bill

Originally Posted By: daman
I didnt see a problem with it?
21.gif

Some of us care about what is typed here and how it reflects BITOG.

Some don't.

At least you don't spew the one OCI fits all.. And thank you for that!

Bill

Bill the reason i don't see a problem with it because it seems to me it was a recommendation,the OP has been around since 2008,I'm sure in that time he knows enough about making his own final decisions on lubrication.

and on the other hand i also see where your coming from,i see that allot also.

But we have people here who signed up in 2002 with only 100 posts. (or less)

We really can not go buy how long they have been here. But more important is the person who comes here for info (never signs up or asks a question) and sees that heck, you can run this oil 10k and your engine will last 200-400k (what a range
smirk2.gif
) and he has a problem engine. Something that really should be fixed or should NEVER see a 10k oci.

Then his first few OCIs he starts having real major problems. Well, over at BITOG they said 10k ocis with this will be fine.

Happens more than we could guess. Many more people read this site then ever will sign up.

That is why we NEED to error on the side of caution. One OCI does not work in everything.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back