PureOne Vs. Bosch Distance Plus - A Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed at Advance Auto a display for Pure One and the Bosch Distance Plus - they seem to filter the same size particles but the display says the Bosch holds more grams of contaminants than the PureOne. Costs twice as much too and weighs twice as much. Is this a meaningful real-world advantage or just marketing hooey? I am switching to syn (probably Ultra or M1 EP) and want a filter that can last for an extended drain. Advice, observations, what do y'all think?

Seeing both filters cut open my observation is to stick with the P1 or the normal Bosch. I could not see any difference with the distance Plus.

I have been impressed with the Fram extended filter. Might consider that iof your planning to extend over 10,000 miles

Well more holding capacity is a great thing to have, but how necessary it is and how much extra it is worth is debatable. The P1 is not an "extended interval" filter. It's holding capacity of 13 grams or so is about what standard OEM spec filters hold. We know that OE filters are allowed to go 12K+ miles, so you have to assume it doesn't develop to much restriction and bypass. The P1 is much more efficient and so it could potentially become restrictive quicker, but there's no test data that shows it becomes restrictive quicker than a lower efficiency oil filter
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Odysseus2010
Noticed at Advance Auto a display for Pure One and the Bosch Distance Plus - they seem to filter the same size particles but the display says the Bosch holds more grams of contaminants than the PureOne. Costs twice as much too and weighs twice as much. Is this a meaningful real-world advantage or just marketing hooey? I am switching to syn (probably Ultra or M1 EP) and want a filter that can last for an extended drain. Advice, observations, what do y'all think?

There really is no way to compare them without laboratory style testing or a number of field tests.

Increased capacity is not going to show up a difference in normal usage, say twice a year filter changes with typical driving.

Years ago when Champion was making both the Mobil 1 and the Delco Ultraguard I had the opportunity to compare them in some extended testing. The longer you ran them the better the Ultraguard looked.

But in the long run, given the high cost, the Ultraguard went off the market.

With some niche exceptions that has been the case with high capacity filters - usually with some synthetic media - like the Hard Driver, the Ultraguard, and so on.

If they filter at the same level, you can buy two or three normal capacity filters for the price of one high capacity filter, and just change them more often.

As far construction goes, the PureOne and the Bosch Distance Plus appear to be - except for the media - the same filter.

Guess the only time I'd use the Distance Plus (or similar long OCI filter) is if I had a vehicle that was a royal pain to change the oil filter on. I'd run the Distance Plus up to 15K miles (2 ea 7500 mi or 3 ea 5000 OCIs).

I forgot which application I looked at, but the PureOne and Bosch distance plus were IDENTICAL!

I thought it was once said that the Bosch filters are made by Champ Labs, for comparison I looked at the M1 and K&N Filters for the same application and they were totally different looking....

Originally Posted By: 38sho
I forgot which application I looked at, but the PureOne and Bosch distance plus were IDENTICAL!

Not sure what you mean by identical. There is still debate on exactly what the differences are between the Distance Plug and the PureONE. The Distance Plus does specifically spec a higher holding capacity over the PureONE ... so that tells me there's a difference of some kind.

I thought it was once said that the Bosch filters are made by Champ Labs, for comparison I looked at the M1 and K&N Filters for the same application and they were totally different looking....

No Bosch filters are made by Champion Labs that I know of. Bosch & Purolator make their own filters in their own factories AFAIK.

Used to be before Bosch/Mann+Hummel bought Purolator in 06. Now Purolator makes Bosch.

US made Bosch *were* made by Champion.

Then Bosch bought the Purolator filter factories.

European Bosch are another animal.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Not sure what you mean by identical. There is still debate on exactly what the differences are between the Distance Plug and the PureONE.

I'll take a wild guess based upon no information. ;-)

What if the fibers of the media are spun finer? Same size holes, but since the fibers are thinner, there are more holes. Assuming the same media thickness, I would then expect the density of the media material itself to be lower for the Bosch than for the PureOne.

Or perhaps the media is just thicker? It would be interesting to measure the media thickness of both materials with a mic, and to measure the density of each.

If the media is thicker on the Bosch, expect a flurry of "I'd be worried about the flow on that" comments like we had for the PureOne before we determined that it was one of the best flowing filters on the market. :)

Last edited:
I just called Bosch for more detailed information on the filtration capabilities of the D+. Someone in the know is supposed to be calling me back.

-Steve

IMO there is a lot of confusion/overlap in the old and new filters, since Bosch switched from Champion. For one thing, the P1 always was advertised as a higher capacity filter, to the point people were saying how could oil flow through those packed pleats. For another thing, I don't see how a number in grams can be given for capacity when filters vary so much in size. Maybe less media is in the new P1 than the old, and the new DP is like the old P1, who knows what they are doing now. I know they want to get into the $15 filter market, and aren't going to give the $15 DP filter in disguise as a $7 P1.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
I don't see how a number in grams can be given for capacity when filters vary so much in size.

That's a very good point. Presumably the ISO 4548-12 results given on their site are comparing the same application filter. They don't mention the application, though. So comparing 29.1g for the Bosch with 13g for the P1, as I have done in other posts, is treading upon shaky ground.

Checked out the Bosch Distance plus v Purlator Pureone for my Eclipse GT and as far as I can see they are identical apart from the exterior finish.

At half the price and with the grip finish the Pureone is the best value. Bosch looks equally good quality and better box packaging but who cares about the packaging. They both promote 99.99% filtration efficiency so I can't believe the filter material is any different. Even if it is(unlikely) then they both filter just as well as each other. I can't believe the Bosch packs any more square area of filter fibres as i've taken a Pureone apart and there's no way they can squeeze any more concertina in there. If they made the filter thicker then they're just risking a shorter potential mileage life through increased pressure restriction.

The Pureone is the bees knees of filters right now and a steal at the price.

I tried the Mobil 1 filter and two different sizes for two different Hondas both split at the the outer case seem near the screw in end. Mobil refunded me the loss of filter, oil and the clean up of the mess it caused. They requested I send them back the failed filter and later confirmed fatigue at the the metal seam in the outer can. They also confirmed Champion manufactured there range of Mobil 1 filters. I have never used them again after two failures within 1 year of each other.

I don't like Fram as they use cardboard in the relief valve which can disintegrate and block the oil ways in the engine.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Boy
Checked out the Bosch Distance plus v Purlator Pureone for my Eclipse GT and as far as I can see they are identical apart from the exterior finish.

The regular Bosch filter is basically the same as the PureOne, but the Bosch Distance Plus is not the same. It holds much more debris and is advertised as a long OCI filter ... the PureOne spec shows it holds only about 40% total debris than the DP, and the PureOne is not advertised for long OCIs. The DP media is probably different in order to hold that much debris without choking the flow down too much over the course of a long OCI.

If you don't plan on 10K ~ 12K OCIs, then a PureOne is surely a great filter for the money. I use them on many vehicles.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The P1 is not an "extended interval" filter.

It's not???

well according to two calls i made to Purolator they are,,there capable of what ever your manufacture OCI recommendation is,no matter how long or short.

Well the only way I could think they could squeeze more square area of filter in the Bosch (assuming more square area equals more capacity to hold debris) is if they made the filter material thinner. However, if you look through the center hole and the pleats/folds of filter peaking through the small drilled holes of the inner cylinder supporting the filter you can see the density of folds look identical. It beats me how they can possibly have increased capacity in the Bosch while maintaining the same efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back