10 speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these were popular around here in the eighties and seemed to be basic, low-cost transportation.

Now all I see is mountain bikes. They're everywhere and we don't even have mountains around here.

I've been daydreaming lately that if my job lays me off I would like to take one month to ride as far west as I can, lose some weight and reminice about the time I took a motorcycle out west.

I figured at 10mph I could manage 50 miles a day and be there in a month then take a bus back home.

Where do you find 10 speeds that are priced fairly ($100-200). A mountain bike makes little sense on asphalt.

Walmart is stuffed with cheap mountain bikes, but I've never seen a road bike in there. What happened to them?

Last edited:
Any bike shop has road bikes but they have a lot more than ten speeds these days. Trek is a US manufacturer of bikes and makes road bikes and hybrids, a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. I use the latter as I ride bike trails that are aften gravel. You sit upright and the hybris has a slightly wider and heavier tire than the road bike along with non-drop handle bars. Road bikes start around the price you want to pay (think Murray at K-Mart) and go up to many thousands of dollars for a good carbon fiber bike like Lance Armstrong rides. For about $500 you can get a decent bike.

Just start riding a few miles a day. Then on weekends, ratchet it up a bit. Look for local bike trails as well and ride them on the weekends.

I am retired and ride normally 6 to 7 days a week year around weather permitting. We live a few miles from the Florida line so normally we do not have real cold weather that would prohibit riding.

I have a 21 Speed Trek Comfort Bike and enjoy riding it. I also have a Diamondback Mountain Bike that I use once a little for fooling around.

Wife rides a Fuji petal forward bike and likes it it.

I highly recommend that you do not buy a bike from a big box store and go to a local bike shop. Not only can they help you with a selection but provide maintenance, adjustments, etc.

You should find something for + or - $500.00 as the previous poster mentioned.

I lived in Korea for just over 2 years. 2nd half of that time was up in the DMZ area and a 15 speed bike was my daily driver. Did not have a car. Used the bike for transportation to work, shopping, grocery getting, and some trips.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned!

Another way is to look on Craiglist or eBay. I have found several high quality 10 or 12-speeds on eBay for a decent price - one I couldn't have afforded new anyway.

Many older Peugeot, Motobecane, etc. road bikes have many-many miles left on them, they just need a little TLC and new rubber.

Just another option if this is the style you're looking for, it worked for me!

Last edited:
Thanks, I never thought of looking at Craigslist. They have a Peugot for $295 ($600 new).

I paid $250 for a Trek mountain bike a few years back and it had straight handle bars that made it painful to ride. I like the 10 speeds because they have so many different handle configurations and the road tires should roll better than the mudders on MBs.

Now if I can just find one that has a rear rack so it would be able to carry a tent, that will help narrow the search.

Last edited:
I found a Schwinn on Craigslist

http://jackson.craigslist.org/bik/1668632623.html

I'm 5'11" with about a 32" inseam and all the size charts on Google point to a 55-58cm bike. Its close by so I can test ride it. I'll check out your links later, but this bike is a 21" and the minimum I've found on the charts list me for a 21.5".

Finding the right size bike might be the easy part. Do you know if getting a rack to fit on there would be simple to find or would it have to be custom welded or something like that?

I really need a front and/or rear rack or the bike is pretty much a waste to me.

thanks for your help

Originally Posted By: 5150ds
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington1_IX.htm

I would spend a little more for this:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

FREE SHIPPING

Wow, Windsor is still in business??

I remember back when they gave King Eddy (Merckx) some undisclosed amount of coin to put their decals on his World Hour Record setting track bike (built by Colnago, Confente, etc., WHO KNOWS??!), just before going for (and setting) said record on the Mexico City Olympic Velodrome.

Man. that was a looonnngg time ago!!

10 speeds??? Heck My new bike has 10 speeds in the back alone. 9/10 speed cog sets are normal nowadays. For a cheap road bike, Target has a 16 speed Schwinn road bike with aluminum frame and decent components and wheels for around $400.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I found a Schwinn on Craigslist

http://jackson.craigslist.org/bik/1668632623.html

I'm 5'11" with about a 32" inseam and all the size charts on Google point to a 55-58cm bike. Its close by so I can test ride it. I'll check out your links later, but this bike is a 21" and the minimum I've found on the charts list me for a 21.5".

Finding the right size bike might be the easy part. Do you know if getting a rack to fit on there would be simple to find or would it have to be custom welded or something like that?

I really need a front and/or rear rack or the bike is pretty much a waste to me.

thanks for your help

The reason i would look at a newer bike is the third chainring available on newer bikes. If you are in really good shape, two on the front is fine. But, if you are average or below fitness, the third chainring will help getting up hills. This is especially true if you are touring and carrying a load on racks. I am sure, since you are a car guy, you understand the importance of gearing.

A little more than you wanted, but a triple chainring in the front:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/miragesport.htm

Or this, steel will be more comfortable for long days in the saddle and has a rear rack mount:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/galaxy.htm

Here are some affordable racks:

Rear
http://cgi.ebay.com/BICYCLE-REAR-RACK-4-...=item19bb2b5139

Front
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIKE-PANNIERS-FRONT-...=item45f1ffcaa7

Last edited:
Is a kickstand possible? I went to a local shop yesterday and the road bikes started at $800 and they had some used upstairs from the 80s with shifter on the fram (like in front of the water bottle). It road nice for the minute I was on. It was $400 btw.

Thanks alot 5150ds for the rack links. I thought I had to get a special bike to accept racks, but the link said just about all 26" or 700 series tires. So, If I buy from bikedirect it has to say "rear rack" for it to be able to accept one? I'll go ahead and assume it does (if not maybe you can correct me) to save a headache of ordering a bike and shipping it back or getting stuck with it.

I'd like to buy local, but for double $400 vs $800, I guess I'll have to take a chance.

Michael P, thanks for the heads up about Target. There are no Kmarts around here but they had a Murray for a few hundred. I kind of wanted a Schwinn since I figured they'd be easier to work on for some reason (although I think I could do alot of the work, just couldn't do any derailer or chain work......loooks quite complex to me) and I've heard of them. Any good value brands I should mainly look at and any brands to avoid? On target.com they have a Denali for very cheap and a Forge. They seem fine, but how do I KNOW if they'll accept a rack. Someone says they weigh 28lbs when comparable bikes weigh 22lbs.

The guy at the shop said to suspend it if storing for a while. Can't do that, anything wrong with just parking it or will that flat spot the tires OR do I just flip it on its seat and handlebar?

He lowered the seat on the bike, but alot of the weight was still on my arms and it made the steering very twitchy. So I dont know if that means I need a smaller frame or just simply to lower the seat when I get the bike or what.

Thanks fellas, ya'll gettin me educated

Last edited:
First off, I think you might want to spend some time reading. I'd go to a couple of sites:

bikeforums.net is a pretty large forum dedicated to many aspects of bicycles. It's a forum, you can post (after registration, of course), but more importantly, you can search through old threads and you'll probably find plenty of info from the people who have been in the same spot you are.

sheldonbrown.com is reasonably comprehensive directory of lots of bike related items. He goes over how to fix up some of the bits, and has a glossary of terms, and lots of other stuff. I'd highly recommend spending some time there first, as it will help get some background going.

Personally, I'd be a bit wary of riding too much without getting a good fit. A few years ago I thought I was set; now I'll probably always have this achilles tendon that is easily inflamed. Last thing you want to do is screw up a knee or that tendon. Local hospital has a sports clinic; for I think $45 you can have a pro help set up your bike to you. Cheap insurance, IMO, if you are going to be serious. A bike shop will do the same.

Lastly, if you are just starting out, I would hit up Craigslist first, and see about a reasonably priced used bike. You probably will need to have it tuned up, and the bearings greased. I would also assume that your first bike won't be your last bike: bike fit is very subjective. You may or may not like road bike bars, you might prefer leather saddles, you might prefer a 27 speed, etc. If you are serious, I'd expect to go through a few bikes, IMHO.

Mountain bikes are all around; they can be made into reasonable road-going bikes, if you prefer that kind of setup. Me, I do not like MTB's on road anymore. They are not so bad if you put on some slicks; the knobby tires may you feel like you are driving a truck. Worse, the general feel just isn't there. After riding a road bike for a while, an MTB just feels like driving a tractor--slow, bouncy, and slow. But some people like it. Road bars can be intimidating, but they can be raised a bit, and offer many hand positions.

Oh, and a word on saddles: less is more. Those big fluffy saddles? No good. I'll leave it up to Sheldon to explain why.

I store my bikes standing up. Just keep an eye on the tires, inflate when low. Kickstands can be a nusance. Many bikes won't take them. I have this widget which wraps around the bottom bracket and holds the bike up, elevating the rear wheel; found it by a lark in some bike store. For bike racks, look for braze-ons. Road bikes do feel twitchy; its in their nature. A touring bike won't feel as twitchy. After a bit of riding, it won't feel quite as twitchy.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Is a kickstand possible? I went to a local shop yesterday and the road bikes started at $800 and they had some used upstairs from the 80s with shifter on the fram (like in front of the water bottle). It road nice for the minute I was on. It was $400 btw.

Thanks alot 5150ds for the rack links. I thought I had to get a special bike to accept racks, but the link said just about all 26" or 700 series tires. So, If I buy from bikedirect it has to say "rear rack" for it to be able to accept one? I'll go ahead and assume it does (if not maybe you can correct me) to save a headache of ordering a bike and shipping it back or getting stuck with it.

I'd like to buy local, but for double $400 vs $800, I guess I'll have to take a chance.

Michael P, thanks for the heads up about Target. There are no Kmarts around here but they had a Murray for a few hundred. I kind of wanted a Schwinn since I figured they'd be easier to work on for some reason (although I think I could do alot of the work, just couldn't do any derailer or chain work......loooks quite complex to me) and I've heard of them. Any good value brands I should mainly look at and any brands to avoid? On target.com they have a Denali for very cheap and a Forge. They seem fine, but how do I KNOW if they'll accept a rack. Someone says they weigh 28lbs when comparable bikes weigh 22lbs.

The guy at the shop said to suspend it if storing for a while. Can't do that, anything wrong with just parking it or will that flat spot the tires OR do I just flip it on its seat and handlebar?

He lowered the seat on the bike, but alot of the weight was still on my arms and it made the steering very twitchy. So I dont know if that means I need a smaller frame or just simply to lower the seat when I get the bike or what.

Thanks fellas, ya'll gettin me educated

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13012496&findingMethod=rr

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Wall-Mounted-Folding-Bicycle-Storage-Rack/10812003

Thanks again for everything. I found bikeforums.com last night and there is a lot yet to be read, but I've started.

I have a keen eye on the Mercier Galaxy steel. It has mounts for the rear rack, 2 water bottles and a forged dropout and eyelet on the forks which I assume is a place to mount even more stuff.

Is this a good bike?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/galaxy.htm

I'm stuck on deciding on the 56cm or the 58cm.

The main reason for a kickstand was to be able to sleep with it in my tent during nights and other times too I guess.

Is there a weight limit on these bikes. I'm about 225lbs. I read on the webpage that someone suggested getting 36 spoke rims custom made since he was heavy.

I've seen that bike listed in the past; it looks decent. It does have the Sora groupset, which is kinda low end, but certainly servicable. 8 speed is nothing to write home about, but again: it's usable. There is a guy who did buy a step up, and went on a ride across the US: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=rzyi&page_id=61511&v=Hu Might be worth a read.

IMO, I'm not sure. I think I'd prefer bar end shifters, or old school friction shifters, if I was going to be a long ways away from home. Just less to go wrong. Then again, brand new Sora's shouldn't be bad. Hard to say. Anyhow, the 11-30 cassette, with 30/42/52, gives very wide gearing, should be ok on hills. You might notice it on the flats, but if you aren't huffing it for maximum speed, you might not.

As for wheels, yeah, springing for a better set is probably better: but you might be fine if you take these wheels to a local shop and make sure they are properly tensioned and true. Here is where I'd recommend riding the bike for a month or two *before* a big ride. Partially to find any bugs in the bike, and mostly so as to get you on the bike and used to it.

yeah supton, not long after I wrote about the Galaxy I stumbled onto the Windsor Tourist. It appears to have all the goods for touring. 36 spokes, spoke holder, rear rack comes with the bike, I think it has eyelets on the front, 27 speeds, more relaxed Geometry.

Mercier Galaxy steel
Windsor Tourist
Trek 520
Surly Long Haul Trucker

These are the only four bikes that seem to be adequate for the task.

Can't I just do like on my dirtbike and tighten every other spoke for two revolutions to keep it true. Anyway, thats what they suggest on thumpertalk.com

The Tourist list for $1500 and is $600 online. And I hear most bike shops dont even carry touring bikes anyway. So I would pretty much be on my own with this bike and only take it somewhere in desperation. But with the internet anything is possible right. Read the tutorials and learn to tighten your own chain and adjust your own shift cables, because when you end up in the desert there is noone to help you, so might as well learn on your own terms.

Well, I think Bikes Direct is a bit misleading on their claims. Maybe if you tried to buy a Trek with similar optioning could you get near their MSRP. BD "owns" those brand names; odds are, they shop around to find the cheapest frame makers and component suppliers that they can, to make their parts, and make their profits based upon low margin but high numbers of sales.

They sure are fun to shop, though. Some day I might give in and buy one. For a while, they did have the Surly Long Haul Trucker listed too.

Good luck in your purchase.

Well, after spending alot of time on BikeForums.com I came up with 4 bikes worth looking into.

Jamis Aurora available locally MSRP of $1025
Lifetime warranty on frame and fork

Raleigh Sojourn- 100 miles away priced between $1100-1800. I am near this shop 5 days a week for my job but drive a car and have no way of getting it to and from without a special trip, but I can still go there with parts in hand of for advice. Has what they say is the best saddle (brooks aged leather). Lifetime warranty on the frame

Surly LHT- looks to be a favorite and has what they say are the best spokes, which is good for heavy weights MSRP $1095 but the nearest dealer is 140 miles away. 3 year warranty

REI Novara Randonee- $1000 but have seasonal coupons for $200 off, but nearest dealer is in Nashville or Atlanta. Lifetime warranty

It would be nice to buy locally, but if I can get a better bike than is specific to touring (Surly LHT) then it would be worth the drive to get it and the added fees if I ever needed to take it to a local bike shop.

what's your take?

Take into account I've never had a road bike, but am a member here so I know a bit about wrenching and the more wrenching the better since some of my travels might take me to the middle of nowhere where I only have the tools in my bag and the knowledge in my head to keep me moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back