Cut Open: 18 Super Tech Filters!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok after all the hoo haa about Escares, I rounded up as many used ST's as I could find and cut them open. As far as mileage and/or age I dont have a clue other than they have the current ST stickers.

11 ST16 - normal

3 ST3980 - normal

2 ST3614 - 1 normal, 1 with a tear

2 ST3387A - 1 normal, 1 with a tear

Here is the ST3614:

2zdy4h4.jpg

28i2k4z.jpg

ST3387A:

dwck8w.jpg

24odhg2.jpg

My conclusion: avoid the small ST's if possible.

Enjoy... now It's time for a beer and a bucket of ice water for my wrist. lol

Based on your pics...and the info you supplied with the filters w/tears (holes in the media)....I for one would not trust any ST filters. Stay away from these cheepies and Frams.

I would move up to a mid-priced ($5 to $7) filter...such as Purolator PureOne or Classic or Bosch Preminum... We are only talking about a few bucks more than you paid for the Sts. If cost is an issue...wait for a Purolator Rebate and get them a very close to what you paid for STs.

Last edited:
Avoid them all together. Thin media, lack of pleats and junk construction. Just what every BITOGer wants for their car or truck.

Now with that said it looks like to me you have another issue such as coolant possible

Last edited:
That second filter has had somthing done to it, or been exposed to something other than oil. I have never seen a filter with a two-tone color to the element.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
That second filter has had somthing done to it, or been exposed to something other than oil. I have never seen a filter with a two-tone color to the element.

yeah all of the filters I cut open were outside in the weather. some were face up so had water in them. Thats why they are Fed up looking. lol

But water doesn't tear pleats, which is what I was leaking for

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

yeah all of the filters I cut open were outside in the weather. some were face up so had water in them. Thats why they are Fed up looking. lol

But water doesn't tear pleats, which is what I was leaking for

You would be suprised what water will do to an oil filter

This is why I use ProSelects or Carquest Red label oil filters. Much better construction and a better filter for right around the same price as ST and Fram.

Just my .02

Funny.
crackmeup2.gif

You state to avoid all small Supertech filters but all the photos you have are of the larger sizes.

So what is it?

Good to see people with knowledge.
09.gif

Bill

PS: ALL the "smaller" size Supertech filters have metal endcaps.
06.gif

This is about the 4th evidence of E-Core failures within the last month posted here! I know there are some other folks like BillinUtah who've posted evidence that E-Cores are just fine.
21.gif

I think I'll stick to something else like Purolator. The regular Supertechs with a full metal cage are still a fine filter for the price IMO.

Wow. Bill in Utah seems a little angry. The filter shown is a 3614 or small Dodge filter. It looks like a $1.49 filter is SUPPOSED to look like (tears & all)

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Wait a second Bill, isn't the ST3614 the filter that fits Toyota Corollas? If so, this is evidence that most, if not all Supertechs are all E-Core now.
Nope

ST4967 for the Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Tomhollywood
Wow. Bill in Utah seems a little angry. The filter shown is a 3614 or small Dodge filter. It looks like a $1.49 filter is SUPPOSED to look like (tears & all)

Bill's mad because we have a serious problem with factual info being presented here.

I'll see if you guys can figure this one out....

Bill, you have to admit though - there's been several posts lately where people have shown pictures of ruptured media in E-Core filters. I wonder what you're doing right that some are doing wrong, because every E-Core you've posted has looked practically brand new. Even after 6K+ miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back