motorcycle oil filters.....what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Originally Posted By: kballowe
I wondered how well the paint would stick

Sticks well -- only has to last 3000 miles

hahahaha yeah I never thought abou that.

The kid has a blue Yamaha sport bike and he really liked those blue filters which almost perfectly matched the color of the bike. When they changed them go that gold color then he decided it was time to change to something else. I'll give him the good news - that the paint only need last 3,000 miles !!! :)

I currently use the K&N oil filter for my Ninja 650r. Before I was using WIX oil filters. Honestly, the only reason I made a change is/was that I am curious.

Oil, I know. Oil filters, I know nothing.

Pureone on the Bonneville although I have used the Supertech with no apparent problem. I change the oil on bike between 2000 and 2500 miles.

Hiflo filtro cartridge on my Aprilia Tuono. I might try a Tusk on my Aprilia sometime since I'm pretty sure the Aprilia's Rotax 990 engine uses the same filter as a Can-Am Rotax v-twin ATV.

Supertech or STP on my FJR. The Supertechs are cheaper, but the STP filter is a perfect match for Yamaha blue. I've used cheap car spin on filters on four different bikes (2 FJRs, one ST1100 and a V65 Sabre) over the last 15 years w/ no problems.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Suzuki engines have a unique thread on their filters so an auto filter can't be used. Wonder if that's why they do it.

Ya think?

i was going to take the filter spud out and make my own so I could uses standard filters but never got around to it. I found a dealer online that sold Suzuki filers for a fair price by the case.

OEM on the BMW airhead, anything that fits on the Shadow 1100, and the chrome K&N on the Road King because I love the handiness of having the nut welded to the end and gives me a little more chrome to "rub" when I'm not riding.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Suzuki engines have a unique thread on their filters so an auto filter can't be used. Wonder if that's why they do it.

Ya think?
i was going to take the filter spud out and make my own so I could uses standard filters but never got around to it. I found a dealer online that sold Suzuki filers for a fair price by the case.

The weird thing is, their automobile engines use a standard 20x1.5mm thread.

BTW - Amazon has Suzuki spec Purolator ML16818's on sale for ~$5.50.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: cven
XS650...Where you getting your filters at?

I got rid of my last MC about 8 years ago. IIRC, I bought the filters from a dealer in South Carolina that had good parts service online. I can't remember their name or what city.

Any way around this thread dilemma? An adapter or maybe somehow change out the threaded bushing?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Any way around this thread dilemma? An adapter or maybe somehow change out the threaded bushing?

I dunno that it's worth the aggravation, Dave - we have a pretty fair assortment of filters out there that seem to work okay..
21.gif

We don't have the luxury of using $3 car filters like some of the other bike owners, but you can get OEM's from Oneida Suzuki for around $5-6 when they're on special, or Puro's from Amazon for the same price..
The way I figure it, those Yoshimura Suzukis have won scads of races with one or the other of the available filters on there, so...

Quote:
our Hayabusa powered race car.

feff - That's something I'd like to see - any YouTube's or anything??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back