'93 Camry - Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody! I am a new member, but have been a 'guest' on the site for quite some time now, and i would like to believe i am no longer clueless. haha.

But anyways, just trying to get some opinions on the oil type and OCI's i would be running.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
A 1993 Toyota camry. 5s-Fe engine, 4 cyl.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
Not sure on certifications, but anywhere from 5w-30 to 10w-40

3. Where you live
Alberta Canada. Cold winters, hot summers, dry air.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Normally I drive fairly smooth, but i do have my fun times, taking it to red-line etc. I do not race it.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Normally short drives, maybe
6. Whether your car has any known problems
Not at the moment no, but previous owners neglected the car quite a bit, sold it dirt cheap because it died on them too much. Never had it die on me yet though. (thanks to new sparks, wires, rotor, dist cap etc.)

Additional note: after purchasing the car, i quickly did an oil change on it, and found quite the amount of metal pieces floating around in the old oil. About the size of small finger nail clippings. This definitely worried me, but I didn't find anything in the following change.

Millage on the car is at 266,XXX km's.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the amount of KM you have on that vehicle...I would suggest my favorite oil...Valvoline MaxLife Blend or SYN 5w30.

If you go for the Blend....5000 +/- OCIs
With SYN...7500 +/- OCIs
Convert to KM....

Be sure to use a good oil filter...stay away from Frams.
__________________________________________-
2003 Ford Focus SE 2.3L / 83K
Valvoline MaxLife SYN 5w30 / OCI 7500 +/-
Purolator PureOne PA 10241

Last edited:
Run what brought you here.
cheers3.gif
266km is a good mileage.

I'd personally run any 5w-30 oil and change it often since you do short trips.

No NEED for a HM oil.

Take care, bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

any 5w30 will do. I have a corolla with 280000 miles . I do like toyota filters cause i got them for a buck each. otherwise supertech champ labs filters and any decent oil. Supertech oil does burn faster so avoid it in your car. pyb ,mc semi, or any major brand sale oil will do. keep your oci's to 2 quarts burned or 5000 miles.

Hmm, thanks for the replies! I actually have a jug of PP that i picked up on sale for cheap, and I see people here doing 7500+ OCI's on it. Would it be possible to run those kind of OCI's on my older (and possibly dirty) engine?? Without UOA's i mean.

Current fill is castrol syntec 5w-30

I would limit to 4-5k miles for the first PP change, on second and after I would increase OCI to 7-8k miles. PP has good detergent so that on the first use it will clean your engine and you want to dump it out with shorter OCI.

You might pull the valve cover to check for extensive sludge. The results of this inspection will guide your OCIs.

The sparkly oil is a worry too, although there's nothing more you can do about it. (Clean oil, quality filter.)

if the motor is not burning oil ,and it might not, you can run at least 5000 miles on it. check your filler cap and look inside for sludge ,but i doubt it. Most motors that are still alive at that age will still be in good shape. especially the older toyota motors like mine and yours.

Sounds great! yeah I guess i'll be going with a short oci on the PP first run, and increase from there.

As far as i know, it doesn't burn oil, unless u consider less than half a liter after 5000km burning oil. (like 3k miles?)

At the moment I have a fram XG on it, fram is just so easy to find! And it's the only one I trust by them. I do know of a napa on the other side of town, might check it out some time, maybe pick up a few gold filters.

Anyways, thanks for the opinions everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back