What oil should I use for Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordFocus
why would this be a waste Bill? should I going longer intervals. I was paying $30 for Conventional blend changes and now I can do synthetic myself for about $24. This saves me 6 dollars and I can run the synthetic longer before it needs changing.

$24 for a 5k oil change? Waste. You could do the same with the same protection for $10 less... $200 over 100k miles.

I go with Value. What is going to work for the best price. The mindset of it's "only" $xx more is what has gotten this country in trouble and many a person.

To each their own.
21.gif

Take care, Bill

My vote is to use 5W30 Mobil Clean 5000 or Pennzoil conventional and a Motorcraft oil filter, 5000 miles/6 months. If not a Motorcraft filter then Purolator. I think any 5W30 you choose would serve you well. If you want to use Mobil 1 or PP, I think 5k OCI is reasonable.

i have a focus too, go at least 8k on M1...i am getting 37mpg now using PP, M1 0-20 will be next, maybe i can squeeze 38 out of it

really if you are only going 5k just use the mobil clean and save 12.50 on jug compared to M1..any oil can go 6k...or buy supertech for 9.50 a jug

I drive a 2003 Focus (2.3L) with 83K on it.

I have two options for you...one has worked well for me.

If you want to do 5000 mile OCIs...use a HM Oil such as Valvoline MaxLife Blend 5w30 (Red Bottle)...and a Motorcraft filter.

I chose to use Valvoline MaxLife SYN (Silver Bottle), because I wanted to have longer OCIs of about 7,500K. I use a Purolator PureOne filter.
This combo has worked really well for me. My focus runs smooth, quiet and has excellent power.

One other suggestion....try Redline SL-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner. A whole bottle to start with (full tank) and then use 1.5 to 2 oz each time you fill up, for continued maintanance.
Redline SL-1 Complete Fuel Sys Cleaner.

Last edited:
FF - You can use 5-20 in that engine. Enjoy a bit more pep and gas economy.
I would use 5-20 as a first choice with a Zetec [and I DO].
5-20s are tough.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: FordFocus
ok, thanks for everyone's replies. I think I am going to stay with Mobil 1 5W30 and do 5000 mile oil changes.

One word then...

WASTE..

Bill

Another word:
DITTO!

5k mile OCIs calls for the least expensive GF-4/SM you can find. That engine is not known for any major issues. You have no need for extra special care or top end synthetics.

You're concerned about 5w-20 versus 5w-30, but I'd be more inclined to worry about the wasteful approach to your OCIs. If you stick with 5k mile OCIs, pick any qualified dino you can find at the least cost.

Last edited:
We are encouraged to try to use 'less' oil resources...thus doing a 5000 OCI on Mobil 1 5w30 is wasteful and overkill.

Suggest you consider 7500 +/- OCIs........

Does it take MORE resources to make M1 as compared to "dino" oil? If not then why the "waste"? Why the judgement?

Can I send the consumption police to follow you around and see what they find that they do not approve or find wasteful in YOUR life?

Half way joking...But...I am getting sick of this nanny state we are beginning to live in.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Does it take MORE resources to make M1 as compared to "dino" oil? If not then why the "waste"? Why the judgement?

Can I send the consumption police to follow you around and see what they find that they do not approve or find wasteful in YOUR life?

Half way joking...But...I am getting sick of this nanny state we are beginning to live in.

This is not a judgement...just an observation.

It makes no sense to waste good oil....and throw it away unecessarly...why would you want to do that?

Question: If motor oil averaged $12 or $15 a quart...would you still do OCIs when the useful life of your oil was only half of what it could be? I don't think so...you'd be getting every mile you could out of that oil fill. If you didn't...you'd be considered foolish.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
tenderloin said:
This is not a judgement...just an observation.

It makes no sense to waste good oil....and throw it away unecessarly...why would you want to do that?

Question: If motor oil averaged $12 or $15 a quart...would you still do OCIs when the useful life of your oil was only half of what it could be? I don't think so...you'd be getting every mile you could out of that oil fill. If you didn't...you'd be considered foolish.

First off, most oil does not cost that much, nor is it in short supply.

Next, regardless of the price, some at THEIR not your choosing, will do short OCI's. Fine with me. Their cars, their money.

As far as being foolish...There are probably numerous things you that do I would find foolish....but.. it really is NONE OF MY BUSINESS what you do in/with your life or how you spend your money...including oil usage.

I would write much more on this subject, but they have a strict no politics policy here.

I did not mean to start any auguments. I just started to do my own oil changes. I have learned a lot from you guys. I did not take any auto classes in school (though I wish I had) so I learn things by asking people. So from what most are saying if I use M1 then I should go at least 7500 OCI's or use dino oil for my 5000 mile changes.

I'm with Bill on this one. And I doubt he meant any deragatory comment upon the human value of the poster; it was a comment on the practice, not the person. OTOH, I too agree that it is foolish to shed oil before it's used to its full value. That can be said of any lubricant at any time.

Most all people OCI before they need to, because they want to. That's fine by most of us. But that still does not mean it's not foolish. If the person were literally throwing green Federal Reserve Notes into a fire, you'd be willing to call it foolish. But when they change oil too often, it's somehow "OK" because they want to?

I agree and understand that there is a HUGE difference between "wants" and "needs". I'm probably one of the most vocal members here that ring that gong on a regular basis. People can generally choose to do whatever they want regarding the maintenance of their vehicle. But when a noob or other person asks for advice, part of the responsible answer is to not only speak of the lube choices in regard to product brands and grades, but ALSO the practices that are associated with the lube topics in general.

OCI too often and you're wasting money and resources. Waste is waste, and should be called out as such.

As I said before, that little 2.0L engine is a decent engine with no known flaws overall. As such, I would think (acknowledging the lack of UOAs for this vehicle at this time) we could make some generalizations for him:
dino oils - OK for 5k miles
semi syns - OK for 7.5k miles
syns - OK for 10k miles
Obvisouly, an actual UOA fo this particular vehicle will give proof far past the supposition of these suggested limits, but overall long term history from the UOAs on this site can support these general conclusions.

Last edited:
OP is in Grand Rapids (west of me). It can get darn cold in the winter. I'd stick with the dino suggestion, but would run syn from Dec until the end of March.

To say that any dino can go 5-6 k easily is way overstating the case.

An engine that is very good condition with easy driving situations can fall in to this category. Many situations do not, however.

It is not only reasonable, but documemted. Ford's Focus manual calls for any licensed 5w-XX or fluid meeting the generic API/ILSAC standards SM/GF-4, right? And the "normal" OCI is set at 5k miles by the OEM, Ford. I, and others, specifically qualified our comments in regard to this application with qualified fluids. Stay within specs and dino 5k miles OCIs are shown to have a HIGH degree of success.

That in mind, it is completely legitamate and responsible to offer this OP the advice that any dino oil meeting those criteria under those conditions will work. Period. I'm sure Ford has reams of data and experiments and actual drive time to back that up. What do the nay-sayers have?; mythology and rhetoric.

BTW - my new 2010 Fusion recommends 7.5k miles on licensed fluids. My UOAs confirm it's not only "possilbe" but "probable with high degree of success". People need to start understanding that these aren't your grandfather's cars, or lubricants, any longer.

With all that being said (very good posts BTW)...I would recommend to this fellow Ford Focus owner...

Motorcraft 5w20 BLEND...it has the advantage of some synthetic in combo with dino...and 5,000 OCIs should easily be possible.

Its Ford recommended... and has been highly touted here on BITOG. In addition, it is about as cheap as just regular dino ($11.50 / 5 Qt. Jug / at WalMart.

Also purchase the Motorcraft filter at WM... cost is reasonable @ about $3.79. A good general filter, recomended by Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back