Does Conventional Pennzoil cause sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were sitting around the shop one afternoon and got onto the subject of how Pennzoil is cheaper than most, and compared to most other leading brands of conv. oil, causes sludge. Now this did not make a lot of sense to me because my thought was that the API rating of SM on the Pennz's bottle should mean that the oil will protect from sludge. I did not speak up because I did not know for sure the facts of Pennzoil but I hope we can fix that.

Total myth from long ago. Pennzoil yellow bottle is very high on the dino list for being one of the best and does a great job actually Cleaning

Cheaper? I think it runs about as high or higher than any of the dinos at Walmart. I have used it for a long time and never had sludge problems. My 02 never saw anything else since the factory fill and is clean inside.

Originally Posted By: John With Beastly 302
We were sitting around the shop one afternoon and got onto the subject of how Pennzoil is cheaper than most, and compared to most other leading brands of conv. oil, causes sludge. Now this did not make a lot of sense to me because my thought was that the API rating of SM on the Pennz's bottle should mean that the oil will protect from sludge.

See how these rumors evaporate when you think about them for about 5 seconds?
wink.gif

Completely untrue. Maybe it was true in the 60s, 70s when motor oils sucked and engine heads were poorly designed, but no more. Except in special circumstances,like the pre-04' chrysler 2.7L, and a few Toyota engines, primarily. But note that pretty much ANY oil, of the pennz persuasion or not, can sludge in these cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most mineral oils today are paraffin based, this is not candle wax. as some people like to think.

The word paraffin is a very common and basic term for base mineral oil. The MSDS sheets for many motor oils use the word paraffin to describe the main oil ingredient...as in "SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC PETROLEUM," which is how Valvoline phrases it in their MSDS sheets.

Paraffin is the proper organic chemistry word for aliphatic hydrocarbons...more commonly known as oil. It is also the correct name for wax and candles. But there is as much difference between paraffin wax and paraffin oil as there is between a chestnut horse and a horse chestnut. They just aint the same thing. Don't matter whether you're talking about Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline or your wife's Christmas candles. If you like Pennzoil, use it worry free. Hope this helps.

http://www.lloydminsterheavyoil.com/crudetypes.htm

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
engine heads were poorly designed

Please explain to me the role in which cylinder heads affect sludge deposits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JT1
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
engine heads were poorly designed

Please explain to me the role in which cylinder heads affect sludge deposits.

I guess if a cylinder head is of a certain design, it will not shed heat well, and contribute to the engine running hot. The small amount of oil that 'pools' in the head will cook into sludge.

John 302 - Yes, we've all heard oil rumours/myths, and this is one big one.
You will hear of someone with an uncle or friend who put in Pennzoil and had the engine sludge up. They will be stubborn about it. But the same was said for Quaker State and others!

Pennzoil is, and always was, one of the better oils.

Well in my experience at the shop I work at, is that I can tell when a customer uses pennz conv. because when I drain the oil it comes out not as dark as others, also my indication is a yellow pennzoil filter. Now my reasoning for this is that I once was talking to a customer while I was changing his oil in his car. I noticed the yellow pennzoil filter and asked him what oil he was running. He told me he got a deal at one of the parts stores for like $15 bucks for 5 quarts of pennz 5w-30 and a filter. The oil had around 3500 miles on it. When I do a oil change that has had our bulk Mobil Clean (not 5000 or 7500) 5w-30 it is much darker then the peenz is when I drain it. And I have noticed this several times on different make vehicles. So just thinking, it would seem the peenz does not clean as good because it is not as dark at a change. Has anyone else noticed this? Now how come this happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back