Oil for Subaru Forester 2.5X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2400 miles on a recently purchased 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X with the EJ253 4 cylinder SOHC engine NON turbo. Will change at 3000 miles.

What would be a good oil for this engine? I have Mobil 5000 on hand, but would consider others.

Owners Manual indicates the engine oil capacity is 4.2 quarts. Noticed that the oil filter is somewhat small. Any other "larger" filters that would work?

Thanks for any info you would have.

I was reading that no aftermarket oil filter meets Subaru specs. Any truth to that or should I purchase Subaru oil filters?

I would suggest Mobil 5,000 then Havoline, then Formula Shell all great for 3,000 mile changes. But why 3,000 mile changes??? severe service? Lots of short runs etc. ??

For a larger filter, the Purolator Pure one PL14610 (or equivalent) is longer than your stock filter. The bypass valve opens at the same 8-10 lbs. and the gasket diameter is identical. It also has an ADBV. FWIW--- Oldtommy

I believe he said it now has 2,400 miles on it and he will be changing it at 3,000 miles. Unless Subaru has changed their recommendations since I owned one, I believe their severe service schedule is 3,750 miles on an oil change.

Any of the quality brand 5W-30 oils will serve you well.

I'm old school when it comes to filters and I would use the filter that is sold at the Subaru dealer (and I don't care who makes it), Subaru recommends it.

the Subaru 15208AA020 filter was basically the same as the Mazda B6Y1-14-302A oil filter... both being made by Tokyo Roki... the filter is no longer available in the US and now is a 15208AA12A made by Honeywell... the quality difference is significant but I don't know if anyone has cut one up yet to see what it's like... the dealer cost difference for these were also significant, so that was the true motivating factor for going from Tokyo Roki to Honeywell for Subaru of America... the dealer local here got smart and ended up selling the last of the Tokyo Rokis to some enthusiasts for 2x the original MSRP once they were no longer available/hard to find
lol.gif

if you want something larger, the Mazda JEY0-14-302 -9A (for V6s) filter will fit perfectly just like the B6Y1 filter... you don't want to use the Subaru 15208AA031 (6 cyl) filter because the threads are offset more, which causes the filter to barely thread onto the engine (this is on top of the fact that the relief valve setting is different, though I've seen several people use this filter on their boxer 4 subarus and swear by it)... both of the mazda filters mentioned are made by Mahle (sometimes you may get old stock by Tokyo Roki, and if the stars aligned, Tennex also... either 3 are awesome filters), the B6Y1 being the same size as your stock one, and the JEY0 being a taller one by half an inch

Originally Posted By: Chainsaw
We have 2400 miles on a recently purchased 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X with the EJ253 4 cylinder SOHC engine NON turbo. Will change at 3000 miles.

What would be a good oil for this engine? I have Mobil 5000 on hand, but would consider others.

Owners Manual indicates the engine oil capacity is 4.2 quarts. Noticed that the oil filter is somewhat small. Any other "larger" filters that would work?

Thanks for any info you would have.
I own one too(09), and have tried many oils. Rotella T 10w-30 works very well as does 3 quarts 5w-30 Mobil 5000 and 1 qt 10w-40 Mobil 5000. The 10w-30 for some odd reason doesnt work well. A Wix 51356 (not 65) is prob the larget quality filter that will fit. I would absolutely get the watery 20w break in oil out ASAP as we lost a rod bearing to this "water" Subarus like thicker oil. Good luck.

I use the Bosch 3323 or the corresponding Gold Napa, or PureOne.
This filter is longer than stock, and it works better because the filter medium surface area is greater, which mean the filter will last longer. i change every 3000 miles, and that is the recommended by Subaru Canada. in USA severe duty is 3750, but you are always better to err on the shorter side - also, i change the filter every other time - meaning every 6000 miles, which is still less than the "regular" USA interval of 7500 miles.

As for choice of oil it doesn't matter much, any oil is good as long as it is 5w30, and i use 50% synthetic with 50% conventional. i mix it myself.
Because the filter is bigger, you could even change it only every third time - every 9000 miles, but people here complain about "why did you take a bath and then put back on your dirty underwear?"

assda

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
For a larger filter, the Purolator Pure one PL14610 (or equivalent) is longer than your stock filter. The bypass valve opens at the same 8-10 lbs. and the gasket diameter is identical. It also has an ADBV. FWIW--- Oldtommy
Subaru spec is 21-23 PSI but more at TURBO apps not NA. I think the wix 51356 is a RX7 and early RX8 filter. I would look into getting a MAzda Mahle unit too.

Engine is easy on oil as it has moly coated piston skirts and NO timing chain, NO hydraulic tappets. The short pistons and INSANELY short stroke/bore aspect ratio require an oil with a higher HTHS than 3.0 though. Forget Havoline DS 5w-30. Engine HATES this oil (I'm running it now - blecchh!)

the local subaru dealer here uses valvoline durablend 5W30 bulk oil FWIW... of course I think the maxlife is better than the durablend
56.gif

I think subaru is one of the last holdouts on 30 weight oil instead of going to the 20 weight water like everyone else has

With the exception of ARCO's experiences,
grin2.gif
, n/a Subaru's are easy on oil and you can run most anything. I would definitely stick with the OEM filter during the warranty period.

I've got three Subaru's running OEM Honeywell's and I'm just waiting for one to explode.
grin2.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: TheMAN
the local subaru dealer here uses valvoline durablend 5W30 bulk oil FWIW... of course I think the maxlife is better than the durablend
56.gif

I think subaru is one of the last holdouts on 30 weight oil instead of going to the 20 weight water like everyone else has

I'm fairly sure GM still recommends 5W-30 in most of it's engines too.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

I've got three Subaru's running OEM Honeywell's and I'm just waiting for one to explode.
grin2.gif

-Dennis

Aye, a lot of people are too smart for their own good. I will stay dumb and use the OEM unit.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
Are there any oil requirements or specifications listed in the Forester owner's manual? Just curious.

Yes, The manual indicates one should use 5w30. The dealer says any kind would suffice. I did not talk with the service department yet and will do so this week. I might buy a case of the oil filters at the dealer and find out what oil they use (probably bulk) and let them change it the first time or two as they offer free tire rotation every 6000 miles. The dealer is about 1 1/4 hours away though so I'll change it every other time. Looks like the oil is easier to change than my Colorado pick-up is though.

On my 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Naturally Aspirated the OEM Subaru filter is recommended since it is the only one with the proper Bypass Valve pressure. I used to get Valvoline 5W-30 bulk done at the dealer. I now bring in my own oil. I brought in QS Ultimate Durability 5W-30 in January. It seems to like it. Better in the cold then the bulk dino it used to get. Will change it again in a few months with the same.

Here is what the manual recommends

subarud.jpg

Should be the same for the Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back