zmax-micro lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
i get these ridiculous offers from acura and i was looking at the 30,000($450-yeah right) mile service which includes Zmax-micro lubricant.
what is this stuff? i re-call in the owners manual that additives are not required yet acura includes it in their service. so perhaps this stuff is good because ACURA recommends it?

You got these offers from Acura the manufacturer, or your Acura dealer?

1,000,000 to 1 it was the dealer, in which case you should decline that portion of the service.

it is from the dealership
i've never dumped any type of additive in my oil and dont plan to, was just curious what this stuff was

wouldnt it have to be approved by acura before an acura dealership uses it for their services? this could cause liability issues if something were to happen

Last edited:
Dealers can do whatever they want on this stuff, typically without much interference from the manufacturer.

Most additives a dealer would use at least won't hurt anything. One dealer I worked at was big on BG brand products. The BMW techs swore that the MOA oil additive tremendously helped all those bad V8 blocks they had in the mid '90s, but I was a VW tech and I never could see any difference with or without it on my customers' cars.

Some things really are useful, like the BG induction system cleaner, at least before they reformulated it. Works miracles on gunky VW 1.8ts that never get driven hard. I'd give $50 for a couple of cans of the older stuff if I could get some. At another dealer they pushed a Wynn's equivalent, but it was anything but equivalent to the BG.

Last edited:
Can you say SNAKEOIL...... People still fall for this stuff evertime a new one comes out..... If the stuff really works dont you think the oil comapnies or automobile manufacturer would use it.......

But Carroll Shelby recommends it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
If the stuff really works dont you think the oil comapnies or automobile manufacturer would use it.......

How many times have we heard that before?

Isn't Carroll Shelby a manufacturer, doesn't he use it?

If this Z-Max really worked we would be talking about it all the time in this Oil Additive Section.

Originally Posted By: c3po
If this (name your product) really worked we would be talking about it all the time in this Oil Additive Section.

Yeah.... I've head that before too.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
If this (name your product) really worked we would be talking about it all the time in this Oil Additive Section.

Yeah.... I've head that before too.

This Z-Max is just like that Duralube Product, everyone, just use your money to buy a good quality oil like Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum.

This Z-Max is just like that Duralube Product, everyone, just use your money to buy a good quality oil like Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum.

We're talking additives here, not motor oil. What does Z-Max have in common with Duralube? I would think it would be more comparable with MMO. Have you tried Z-Max or Durlube?

Originally Posted By: Turbo Jim
We're talking additives here, not motor oi

This is basically an oil additive that is worthless, its supposed to soak into the metal or something.

I did use Duralube once, really cannot say if it did anything or not.

I also believe that with Pennzoil Ultra and the others that may follow there will be less of a need for products like Z-Max.

What makes this Z-Max so special, what does it do or what is it supposed to do.

This is basically an oil additive that is worthless, its supposed to soak into the metal or something.
What makes this Z-Max so special, what does it do or what is it supposed to do.

I'd like to know why so much effort is spent promoting the product and so little effort is spent on proving that the product provides a benefit.

I did use Duralube once, really cannot say if it did anything or not.

Even finding no results at all is useful information to share with the other members. If you did not find a value in Duralube I don't think I, or the majority of the members here, would either.

Last edited:

I'd like to know why so much effort is spent promoting the product and so little effort is spent on proving that the product provides a benefit

Marketing and Advertising, get your name out there in some fancy commercial and get a well respected pitchman and you may sell some product.

I'd like to know why so much effort is spent promoting the product and so little effort is spent on proving that the product provides a benefit

Marketing and Advertising, get your name out there in some fancy commercial and get a well respected pitchman and you may sell some product.

Hello Turbo Jim,

The zMax product has extensive ASTM/SAE testing as well as an explanation on Micro-Lubrication right on their [non-sponsor link] website.

Also,visit a web site, [non-sponsor link] and you'll be able to see the products field performance history.

Click on the Joe Lencki story and this really shows that the product is not a Johnny come lately from some marketing company.

zMax has a very deep background in proving performance since 1938 to current.

Racetek27.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By:

I can categorically state that nothing "soaks" into metal, with respect to the way snake oil salesmen use the term... or unless you want to enter into an esoteric discussion on hydrogen, hi-temp nitriding, or other such processes.

Originally Posted By: racetek27

Hello Turbo Jim,

The zMax product has extensive ASTM/SAE testing as well as an explanation on Micro-Lubrication right on their [non-sponsor link] website.

Also,visit a web site, [non-sponsor link] and you'll be able to see the products field performance history.

Click on the Joe Lencki story and this really shows that the product is not a Johnny come lately from some marketing company.

zMax has a very deep background in proving performance since 1938 to current.

Racetek27.

People new to the site pushing a product that has a bad reputation are usually questioned, especially when they come on pushing a product in their very first few posts. Z-Max has been discussed here for quite some time and the general consensus is the product is a snake oil with little or no value. Then when claims are made that defy science eyebrows are raised. I think that is what is happening here. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back