Which Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to send in a VOA for Cam2 5W/30 and am looking for recommendations on a lab to send it to. I know of Blackstone. Any other suggestions?

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
Are we allowed to mention the one that rhymes with "dyson"?

+1

Dyson is great.

Why not use blackstone just like terry does. 100.00 for another opinion is a waste when you can get 50 opinions on here

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DieselTech

Why not use blackstone just like terry does. 100.00 for another opinion is a waste when you can get 50 opinions on here

+1, for a VOA only, I would use Blackstone or the like.

And the opinions on here are free and readily given.

50 opinions wont be of much use if the lab is not reliable.

I take it you've never bought a Dyson analysis.
wink.gif

There are three reasons:

1. The $100 also buys you a MUCH more thorough analysis on far better equipment, plus access to his Weblog where people much better informed than us BITOGers talk about things at a much higher level.

2. It doesn't matter how many opinions you have if they are uninformed, which virtually all opinions expressed on BITOG are. One properly informed opinion outweighs them all. I could count on one hand the number of people on BITOG who might know as much as Terry, and they aren't going to go around commenting on UOAs, let alone giving you commented PDFs and 10-minute MP3s of their personalized interpretations and then following that up with email communication. Or, if they will, they will charge for it.
wink.gif

3. Even if those people did comment on your UOA, they don't have a lot to go on with a Blackstone UOA, which goes back to point #1.

So what can he tell me that anothe lab cannot?? I could gives 2 [censored] about a blog ( I have a blog ) pay me 100.00 and i'll tell you whats wrong with your diesel. Much better equiptment? like how?

I'm also sorry but i feel if he sells a product he is biased in what he thinks you should have in your car. To me it seems odd that the 2 major lubrication forums have so many members and terry is nowhere to be found these days. i have read enough to not waste my money on Bunk.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/dyson-analysis.php
Sounds like not much to offer for 4X the money. By the way there is a link that tells you how to interepret your UOA on the blackstone site. Also it doesn't say anything at all about not using blackstones Infereior equiptment.....Being the larget Oil analyzer I find that hard to believe. I may fall for some oil propaganda but that a bit far fetched.

Last edited:
So what can he tell me that anothe lab cannot??

300V_UOA_2.jpg

That's a pretty long list of tests. Other labs can give you all of that, but only for a similar or higher price.

Much better equiptment? like how?

Dyson's lab uses rotrode filter spectroscopy. It catches a bigger range of particles than the ICP method that Blackstone and Polaris use.

Dyson uses closed-cup flash point measurements. Most other labs use open-cup.

Dyson also uses an ISO accredited lab. Blackstone does not.

I'm also sorry but i feel if he sells a product he is biased in what he thinks you should have in your car.

And BITOGers aren't biased?

To me it seems odd that the 2 major lubrication forums have so many members and terry is nowhere to be found these days.

And why do you think that is?

By the way, he posts on his blog regularly and is VERY reachable by email.

We are biased that why this conversation and this forum lives the way it does. If people could agree to disagree forums wouldn't exist. We will have to agree to disagree.

I honestly don't see anything special and flash and other points on the dyson test really doesn't tell a bad product or a good product.

maybe terry is around, maybe you are him, maybe he is not. Who knows. reguardless I feel it's a waste, but what matters most is you feel you get your monies worth.

You know, you might be right. Maybe I am Terry. Ever seen him and me in the same room at the same time?
45.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back