Dash crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

If one has a crackin the dash, what is the best way to prevent it from spreading? I had heard to drill a small hole at the end of it, to help relieve strain.

Any truth to that? Any fillers that actually look good?

Slowly getting a crack in the dash of my BMW - 19 years is a pretty good run to only have one small one. Just want to keep it that way...

Best practice?

I know drilling a hole in plexglass will stop the crack from spreading.Did this in a boat 15 years ago hasn't gotton any larger.

A small hole at the end of the crack should help, but don't drill it. A drill bit will prolly grab and make new cracks in an old brittle dash. A gently ground hole with a grinding stone in a Dremel should do the trick.

I don;t know what's a good repair goop these days, but you should use something so the crack won't continue to spread and extend.

A dashboard cover over the dash will help preserve what life is left in the dash and hide any repairs.

Buy a Dashmat! You will love it! just order one on line for about $60 or so, They form fit and decrease glare off the old dash. I have one in every ride I have.

Repairs are about as obvious as the crack.
But a good matching glue would help.
Covers and dash mats are available, and some look great.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Repairs are about as obvious as the crack.
But a good matching glue would help.
Covers and dash mats are available, and some look great.

I've seen a few that were well done and looked good. None that I have done though.
shocked2.gif

The cover is a good idea, if you have one crack, then the entire exposed to the sun part of the dash has usually deteriorated and is ready to fail. When I have a car that spends most of it's life parked outside, it gets a pad before the dash cracks.

Another little plus for mats is that they remove the reflection glare of the dash into the windshield.
It makes a nice difference, esp in certain circumstances.

I think the dash mats look cheesy like an 80's leisure suit. But that's just me. But, it would be preferable to a cracked up dash, I agree there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back